Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Derek said:
Kelly, I've noticed you just joined the FJCruiser forums. Your tell tale RAVMAN gave it away. :lol: Glad to see you are taking an active interest in the FJ! :D

Give us the scoops: will it be the new V6 RAV4 or FJ Cruiser; enquiring minds want to know. :lol:
(Quote from HERE)
At this point it's neither :lol: Today's plan is to get a 2007 Camry XLE (4cyl)... but might wait to see how the Camry/Hybrid looks (price?). After a year or so... we plan on selling our 2000 Dodge Ram (3/4 ton, 4x4, long box, xtra-cab, diesel) and our 28 ft 5th wheel camp trailer and then get an FJ and a small camp trailer. The FJ is rated at towing 5000lbs.

After driving lots of FJs at work... I think it's GREAT :D Every time I see a BLUE one it reminds me of the feeling I had back in Feb. of 1996 when we bought our blue 2dr RAV 8)

What will we do with our RAV :roll: It will most likely end up on eBay 8) We talked about trading it in (for sales tax advantage) but since we work for Toyota... we won't be going through any dealerships. Plus... I know a guy who runs a RAV4 website who says he will put the ADVERTISEMENT on the FRONT PAGE of his site :wink:

What will I do with RAV4World? I have EVERY INTENTION of keeping it 8) I still have plans for many site UPGRADES and IMPROVEMENTS. After owning a Camry and FJ for a few years... who knows... we might end up with a 2011 RAV4-H :shock:

I'm sure I'll get NEGATIVE comments about NOT going with the 4.3 RAV :roll: It's NOT because we don't like the 4.3... it's just that after owning a RAV for OVER 10 years... we've decided to have something DIFFERENT for awhile :D

Random reasons for going with the Camry XLE :arrow: great fuel mileage / very smooth quiet ride / leg room / love the '07 updates.

Random reasons for going with the FJ :arrow: 4.0 V6 / 5000lb. towing / looks cool 8) / might go with the manual tranny (6-speed for towing) / looks cool 8) / rear window opens / looks cool 8) / off-road capabilities / looks cool 8) / looks cool 8) / looks cool 8) :lol:

Just so you know how serious I am about the FJ... I already own this :arrow: http://fjcruiserlife.com

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Definitely no heartache here, Kelly -- ten years is a long time to own a car, especially in this day and age where something new and better shows up practically every year.

I've made no secret about pondering the FJ myself, but the biggest kill for me is the gas mileage and the grounded idea that I don't need a "real" truck. What I've also put on the periphery of the new car radar is the RDX and the CX-7.

Toyota's having a new renaissance these past few years after recovering from a bit of a stumble with the MR-S, Celica and Echo (which probably played a part in your stock misfortunes) -- I think now they've got nowhere to go but up! (While hopefully keeping a keen eye on Hyundai)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Kelly... you are a lucky man. :D My wife has a 2002 Camry that she loves. And with my RAV being close to 8 years "young" it will be quite some time before I get my shot at a new car. :?

I too feel the same way about this FJ Cruiser that I did many years back when the first RAV4s hit the Toyota showrooms. It is just something about the cool design that gets to me. I had the same feelings when the Miata first hit the showrooms and having owned an early model, it proved to be a great success. I feel this new Cruiser will be the same. Driving around in one will definitely garner you much attention to say the least! 8)

I'll probably join FJCruiserlife.com forums as a non Cruiser owner, but definitely an enthusiast non-the-less. Have you thought about the site name: FJWorld.com or FJCruiserWorld.com? It could be a sister site to R4W.com. :D

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the words of encouragement everybody :D

Derek said:
Have you thought about the site name: FJWorld.com or FJCruiserWorld.com? It could be a sister site to R4W.com. :D
I had thought about it... but FJWorld.com was already taken :( as is R4W.com :evil: FJCruiserWorld.com seemed a little too looooooooong :? Seeing how POPULAR the ScionLife.com site is... I figured http://FJCruiserLife.com would be good :D I also got http://FJCLife.com as a shortcut 8) Hmmmmmmm... now that I think about it... maybe I'll grab FJCWorld.com while it's still available :lol:

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Kelly Smith said:
What will we do with our RAV :roll: It will most likely end up on eBay 8) We talked about trading it in (for sales tax advantage) but since we work for Toyota... we won't be going through any dealerships. Plus... I know a guy who runs a RAV4 website who says he will put the ADVERTISEMENT on the FRONT PAGE of his site :wink:
If you plan on trading it in you might as well sell it to one of us for a CHEAP price :wink:

Just curious if you are really thinking of selling it, can you post mileage, asking price, etc... 8)

Anyways, I say you keep it.... :D

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DJ Sueno said:
Just curious if you are really thinking of selling it, can you post mileage, asking price, etc... 8)

Anyways, I say you keep it.... :D
Yeah... we'd like to keep it... but financially it ain't gonna happen. We MIGHT keep it up until we get the FJ. I'm thinking putting it on eBay with a minimum of $4900 just to see what happens. Of course you know this is probably one of the MOST FAMOUS RAV4s in the WORLD :lol: :wink: 8)

1996 Confetti Blue 2DR/4WD/ABS/5SPD with vanity "RAV4" Washington State license plates, Tinted windows (28% sides, 18% rear), 2 OEM sunroofs (modified rear sunroof latch so it stays open like the front sunroof), DrawTite Receiver Hitch, Fiamm twin trumpet air horn, Jaos stainless steel front skid plate, Muth Signal Mirrors, Pilot Fog Lights PL704B, Toyota 6-disc in-dash CD changer and 1998 Toyota AM/FM Cassette head unit, 1998 Toyota RAV4 dash mount cupholder, Center Console with two interior 12v outlets, Uniden Radar/Laser Detector, 1998 Twin Beam Headlights, 1998 Tail Lights, Toyota Roof Rack w/ski mounts, Yakima Basket Case and Stretch Net (info), Yakima Ankle-biter roof rack mount bike rack, Toyota RS3000 Remote Alarm System, RAV4 heavy duty floor mats and rear carpet cargo mat, Wheel Locks (5), rear cargo net, rear wind deflector, front mask (bra), mud guards (4), TRD/Bilstein rear shocks, Michelin Michelin Cross Terrain SUV P225/70R16 tires on OEM Aluminum alloy wheels, 155,000 miles
Oh yeah... and to whoever buys it... I will update our OLD Owner's Gallery to make notation of the NEW owner of the #1 RAV4 in the Gallery 8)

Just to let you all know... we are NOT ready to sell it yet 8)

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
joecarnut said:
How about a CamryWorld.com or similar?
Domain names camryworld.com , camrylife.com, etc. are available for anybody who wants them. I can say it's NOT going to be me. I just don't have the TIME to undertake a project like that :? :D

J

·
0 Posts
Kelly Smith said:
joecarnut said:
How about a CamryWorld.com or similar?
Domain names camryworld.com , camrylife.com, etc. are available for anybody who wants them. I can say it's NOT going to be me. I just don't have the TIME to undertake a project like that :? :D
:cry:
There used to be a camrymans passing lane website that was great.
Except for Emunds and Toyotanation there really isn't anything else.

But I'l bet with the Gen 6 being "Fix upable", someone will pick up the slack.

C

·
0 Posts
RAVMAN said:
The FJ is rated at towing 5000lbs.
Be careful, Kelly!

Not all tow ratings are created equal! There is not that big of a difference between the FJ's 5000 rating and the RAV4's 3500!!!

If you look at the GCWR (max weight of car, trailer, and all options and passengers and cargo) and then subtract the empty car weight, you get what I call the "hauling capacity." That would be the weight of the loaded trailer and any passengers and cargo and options in the car. For the FJ, this number is only 5200 pounds (for a 4WD manual transmission) which means you basically can only tow 5000 with the driver on board and nothing else. The RAV4 (V6, AWD, tow package), this number is around 4700 pounds! Which means you can tow 3500 pounds no matter what you've got in the car.

In my mind, the actual capacity of the FJ is only 500 pounds higher, even though the tow rating is 1500 pounds higher. With both of them, I believe your big constraint while towing is the short wheelbase. I'm not sure how either one would do with a trailer over 20' long.

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
654 Posts
Kelly, I can see why your wife likes the new Camry.

Hubby and I saw the 2007 Camry and the 06 Solara today when the RAV was in for an oil change. Originally we had thought we'd be a 2 RAVer family in 2007 but now it looks like we'll be deciding between the Camry (might be a hybrid) or the Solara. I've always wanted a convertible but practicality may lead us to the Camry XLE.

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just an update to let you all know how much trouble I have making decisions :roll: I had decided to get the FJ before a Camry so I had placed an official order for an FJ back on March 9. On May 2nd I was still unable to get an order confirmation or VIN number from Toyota (this was an employee purchase, not from a dealer... so things work a little strange). I guess I got COLD FEET. I officially cancelled my FJ order :roll:

We currently have NO plans of getting a NEW vehicle. We are going to keep driving our 1996 RAV4 for now 8) :D 8) :D

Who knows... we might end up with a 2007 V6 RAV4 after all :? :lol: :thumbs_up:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts