Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a noisy, high pitched blower noise for a long time that I'm finally getting around to dealing with. It is worst at the lowest fan speed settings, and with the automatic temperature control this means I drive with the noise all of the time just about because it's maintaining a set temp. My 2012 has a cabin air filter and mine still looks ok so I'm guessing the motor itself just needs to be cleaned of fine dust.

I didn't have any troubles removing the electric motor from the plastic housing assembly, but I'm not sure how to remove the top spindle nut and remove the blower fins (impeller?) from the motor. I'd like to get the motor by itself so I can get a better idea what is creating the resistance and noise. If I try and spin the blades currently it doesn't freely move, it's fairly resistive.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Beginning with the simple stuff first...

Before trying to remove the fan, try putting a small socket over the nut (actually one slightly bigger than the nut) and give it a sharp rap to seat the bearing properly.

Then plug it in when still out. Did that take care of the noise?

Get back if that did not work.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks Pico! I'll give this a try when I have it back out again (which hopefully will be soon). It looks like my battery just kicked the bucket so I've got bigger fish to fry all of a sudden.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took my blower unit out again today, got it cleaned up. A lot of dark dust and almost soot like dust came out of it.

I should have left it at that but I decided to try to remove the blades one more time and really get a chance to clean it. After giving it another try I destroyed the motor.. I just bought a battery and don't have the money for this. Completely stupid of me all because of the low speed whine.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I took my blower unit out again today, got it cleaned up. A lot of dark dust and almost soot like dust came out of it.

I should have left it at that but I decided to try to remove the blades one more time and really get a chance to clean it. After giving it another try I destroyed the motor.. I just bought a battery and don't have the money for this. Completely stupid of me all because of the low speed whine.
Don't feel bad, I had the same thing in a car about 6 years ago and it was the motor going out. You would of been buying a new one in a short time anyway.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gaah these motors are f'ing expensive too! .. as much as the battery I just replaced :(

Don't feel bad, I had the same thing in a car about 6 years ago and it was the motor going out. You would of been buying a new one in a short time anyway.
Thanks Mainia, I hope so because otherwise I really need to learn to leave well enough alone and stop trying for perfection.

·
Super Moderator
11,211 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the link Dr. D.

I thought maybe I could purchase one from a local dealership to install it immediately and purchase another one inexpensively online to return it to a dealership once it shipped. It would have to be Toyota in that case so still expensive overall.

A local dealership here said it wasn't normally stocked and would take 1-2 days to get in, price is $169 (which is full retail asking price). They were very kind and suggested I shouldn't normally need a new fan, that I should check for leaves or something else caught in there and that usually a quick clean keeps them going for the life of the car. Apparently they don't typically wear out often on them or need to be replaced as far as they have experienced. I didn't tell them I removed mine and hit it with a hammer.. multiple times.

This is the least expensive genuine Toyota blower I have found. Doesn't seem like much time savings there for the hassle involved of purchasing locally and waiting for a new one online, it will take 2-3 days to arrive anyway vs the dealership's 1-2 days.

TYC brand of blowers like the eBay link and others TYCs I've found online have two versions of them. One is the model# 700230 like this one in the eBay link above, the other is #700214. The difference seems to be that the 700230 is made for vehicles with manual HVAC (twist dial) and the 700214 is made for the Limited models with the automatic temperature control. The eBay compatibility chart says it will work for both, so who knows. I just double checked again with the Toyota parts website and it also shows there are two different fan/motor assemblies with different part numbers one for Sport/Base and another for Limiteds.

The TYC's are $44-49 for the 700230 with manual controls (or even cheaper like your eBay link) and $69-$75 for the 700214 with automatic controls. Seems like I'm either going TYC at $75 on Amazon or $106 on Toyota online parts. I've read some good things about TYC blowers and them being a good alternative but also some repetitive bad things (like multiple people across different TYC models having failing motors within the first 2-6 months after purchasing).

·
Super Moderator
11,211 Posts
Yeah I saw the manual/automatic distinction on the eBay listings but my link lists it for a Limited. So w/o having both side by side who knows for sure. If it was me I'd get it coming and return it if it doesn't fit. Or maybe order both & return the one you don't need.

I've used your method of buying local, installing the part and returning the less expensive identical part bought online for a local refund. Works good!

I suspect the TYCs last longer w/o hammering on them. :wink

·
Registered
129 Posts
I used to drive Volvos which were even less reliable then than they are now. One regular repair was dust in the blower. The easiest solution was to take the entire assembly, fan and all, and stick it a "parts cleaner" for a few hours. (Most garages have one if you don't).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts