Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does a Toyota serpentine belt have to cost almost $100 from the dealer? Apparently the list price is $95.32; come on it's just a belt, and I can get a v-belt for my lawn tractor for $3. It's not like it is a very complex component, heck it's not as important as a timing belt, and doesn't need to be precise.

Well for those of you that have 4.2 Ravs like I do, our engines have a timing chain, so everything except the oil pump is driven off the serpentine belt- A/C, power steering, water pump, alternator. So when the belt craps out, you're SOL unless you have a spare one in the back along with a serpentine tool.

I want to change mine, because although it looks ok and hasn't shredded yet, it's on its way out. It has a few decent cracks, and squeaks in the morning when I start the Rav. I just don't want to get stuck on the turnpike in rush hour because my belt broke.

Maybe I'm going off on a tangent here, but I think I will change the belt, provided I can find a suitable replacement. I think I will opt for the $40 Dayco version fron Advance auto parts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yesterday my serpentine belt broken down and luckily it happended inside the garrage. I check the price with toyota part it cost around RM 410( USD 100) and installation charge RM 60 (USD 16).

But my mechanic recommended me to use aftermarket brand (Gates from US) it only cost me RM 185 (USD 48 ) and installation cost RM 60 (USD 16).

Anybody have used the same brand. Is it has a same quality with the OEM?

regards
aziym

1 - 7 of 7 Posts