Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have my manuals handy. So I thought I'd ask the mavens here for a quick answer.

I currently have 4632miles on my 2016 Rav4Hybrid I bought in mid October 2016. I'm getting calls from dealers about coming in for service. What are the recommended service intervals? Also, if it is time to service, there should really be no problem going to a dealer nearby rather than the one I bought the car from? Further, I have experienced horrendous deceit with dealers previously when my last car was new in 2005. For those with experience, are there any standard dealer tweaks to try to get money out of me for unnecessary service items?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Not being familiar with your manual and service schedule is what the dealer depends on. That's how they up-sell you on service that's not needed. Do your homework.

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
rdgrimes is absolutely correct. By reading and being familiar with the manual's service schedule for my RAV so far I have fended off nearly $750 of dealer service department-pushed "services" which are unnecessary and only lighten one's bank account while enhancing the dealer's accounts bottom line.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Not being familiar with your manual and service schedule is what the dealer depends on. That's how they up-sell you on service that's not needed. Do your homework.
So true. The dealer told me to come back in 8000 km, but nothing is really done for this so called maintenance (not free in my case because I didn't buy any maintenance package), so I told him "see you in 15 000 km!"

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
So true. The dealer told me to come back in 8000 km, but nothing is really done for this so called maintenance (not free in my case because I didn't buy any maintenance package), so I told him "see you in 15 000 km!"
So in Canada, you don't get the couple of freebie maintenance checks as in the States?

As for your 8000 km check (looking at the link to the maintenance schedule Quickdtoo posted), their are a few items to check: fluid levels, brake system and tire rotation. If you choose to skip going to the dealer for those, you should at least eyeball those components, and then note it in your maintenance schedule as a "home service." Use that log book for any service, helps keep your warranty covered. When you do go to the dealer at 15000 km, or any 3rd party mechanic work, have them fill out the log also.

Reactions: Swatch

·
Registered
216 Posts
So in Canada, you don't get the couple of freebie maintenance checks as in the States?

As for your 8000 km check (looking at the link to the maintenance schedule Quickdtoo posted), their are a few items to check: fluid levels, brake system and tire rotation. If you choose to skip going to the dealer for those, you should at least eyeball those components, and then note it in your maintenance schedule as a "home service." Use that log book for any service, helps keep your warranty covered. When you do go to the dealer at 15000 km, or any 3rd party mechanic work, have them fill out the log also.
Thanks for the advise, it's a good idea.

When I'll reach 8000 km, it will be time to put my new winter tires so tire rotation is useless in my case, and of course I'll take a look to all brakes at this time.

Regarding fluid levels, I guess there's a warning if you have to add liquids, no matter which one?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As I mentioned, I did not have the manual handy which was quickly remedied by Quickdtoo and the link he provided. That said, I once was an experienced mechanic and I'm familiar with several of the standard dealer tricks. My previous dealer (Huge corporation) told everyone who came in that they needed a new timing belt. (High markup quick procedure) They gave me that one at 21,000 miles. They told a girlfriend the same thing, even though her motor had a timing CHAIN. Then of course there is the equally profitable "cabin filter" replacement.

I guess by my question I was wondering if those experienced with Toyota hybrid cars know of any such standard shenanigans? e.g. Another poster said he fought off $750 in unnecessary charges from the dealer. I'd like to know what the dealer was pushing?

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
e.g. Another poster said he fought off $750 in unnecessary charges from the dealer. I'd like to know what the dealer was pushing?
As best as I can remember, all U.S. $: Fuel system cleaning, c. $250. Fuel system special additive, c. $50+. Fuel injector disassembly and cleaning, c. $450. Something else which I can't recall right now, c. $50.

I told the service writer that none of these is mentioned in the Owner's Manual service schedule. He replied that the OM service schedule is "only what is needed to keep the vehicle running." Also they tried to sell me a new battery, $100, citing the OEM battery's age. I have a battery load tester and had tested the battery before taking the RAV in for service and the battery tested within the acceptable range. That was two years ago and the battery (Johnson Controls) still tests within that range.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm over 42,000 miles already and I can safely say other than oil changes, tire rotations, windshield washer fluid, touch up paint for rock chips, and a few ounces of pink coolant to top it off that nothing else is required. I'm sure they hate selling these hybrids at dealerships:smile

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I guess by my question I was wondering if those experienced with Toyota hybrid cars know of any such standard shenanigans? e.g. Another poster said he fought off $750 in unnecessary charges from the dealer. I'd like to know what the dealer was pushing?
I've had them lie to my face about having "dirty filters", even when I had just replaced the filter. :surprise
There isn't any scheduled maintenance on hybrid components, so they just stick with the usual dealer BS services. If they try to sell you any brake service before 75000 miles you should assume they are lying. Many hybrid drivers get 100k on brakes.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Dam, I have not had this experience (dealer trying to up-sell), with my Prius. I have a different dealer for my RAV4H, and heading in for my first oil change, this week. I only have 5600 miles on it, so I am interested to see what my experience will be.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Every 6 month or 5000 miles, which ever comes first, although the only thing they actually due on the 6m/5k intervals is rotate the tires which is free for the first 2yrs if you have Toyota Care. They only change the oil and filter every 12mo/10k miles.

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms-s/T-MMS-16RAV4HV/pdf/T-MMS-16RAV4HV.pdf
So, based on this, my 2016 RAV4 is just over a year old (on May 19th) and I only have 7560 miles on it. Should I have the oil changed now or wait until it hits 10,000 miles? Is it considered "old oil" and will it harm the engine if I wait? I suppose I should also ask this question to the service department.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
So, based on this, my 2016 RAV4 is just over a year old (on May 19th) and I only have 7560 miles on it. Should I have the oil changed now or wait until it hits 10,000 miles? Is it considered "old oil" and will it harm the engine if I wait? I suppose I should also ask this question to the service department.
Change the oil every 12 months or 10,000 miles whichever comes first. In your case the 12 months has come first. It probably won't harm the engine, but you need to abide by the maintenance schedule to keep your warranty coverage.

Don't you get a free service at a dealer anyway if you bought your car new?

·
Premium Member
7,939 Posts
Which ever comes first, I'm in the same situation, I've owned mine for 16 months but only have 9000 miles on it, 10k mile service was done at 12months with 7500 miles on it.

Every 6 month or 5000 miles, which ever comes first, although the only thing they actually due on the 6m/5k intervals is rotate the tires which is free for the first 2yrs if you have Toyota Care. They only change the oil and filter every 12mo/10k miles.

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms-s/T-MMS-16RAV4HV/pdf/T-MMS-16RAV4HV.pdf

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This answers the meat of my question. Thanks.

There isn't any scheduled maintenance on hybrid components.....
It is hard to find honesty in these endeavors, and I find the deceit can be dealer policy, or often just individual reps trying to up their take.

I've had them lie to my face about having "dirty filters", even when I had just replaced the filter. :surprise
...If they try to sell you any brake service before 75000 miles you should assume they are lying. Many hybrid drivers get 100k on brakes.
I've had the same thing re filters and oil I replaced on my previous vehicle. And the timing belt they wanted to replace at 21,000 showed absolutely no wear at 100,000 miles. I had my non-dealer shop replace it before a cross country trip, even though he said it was not unnecessary. And of course, it's good to know if you motor has a timing chain which never needs replacing unless you've really screwed up the motor.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
^^^
Brakes seem to be the most consistent dealer rip-off on hybrids. Unless something is wrong with the car or driver, brakes *could* last up to 2x as long as non-hybrid cars.

There's a running debate over gearbox fluid changes on the hybrids. Toyota says don't change it ever, some folks like to change it around 90K.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts