Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow RAV owners.
So I recently purchased a 99 Rav4 Automatic. Super clean inside. Some minor clear coat issues. 200k on the Odometer. (didn't realize the dealership lied to me about mileage being 120k, I was in a rush and didn't check the odometer while test driving it).

So far I've just replaced the air filter, oil and dreaded EGR valve and relocated to the firewall to clear a CEL. -super obvious pain in the rear-

So, Now I have this issue where one of the fans up front is coming on sometimes as soon as i start the car for the first time of the day. It'll run for a bit and shut off. Then when I'm idling or driving slowly it'll turn on every minute or so and turn off. It is super loud when it comes on. Is there any way to fix this? or is this normal?

Also, I can set my cruise control and it'll be fine for a while on highway trips and out of nowhere just drop out of cruise control by itself. Cruise light is still on. But I have to re-set the speed to continue cruising.

Also, When going up hills, it will downshift and just stay there in 3rd or 4th gear until I get to a flat grade again. Seems severly underpowered. Is this normal?

Getting around 250 miles per tank on unleaded fuel. Engine seems kind of loud in the valve area. good bit of rattle/tapping noises when going up hills.
This normal on both of these as well?

I've searched for the fan and underpowered hill issue, haven't found much info.
Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sorry to be Blunt jxkey1 but unless you are really keen to spend money which could be a lots and devote a lot of time to your new project I would shove it off a cliff and claim the insurance.
That being said the fan issues is prob the coolant sensor in the radiator that needs replaced.
I know nothing about cruise control problems as my rav doesn't have it fitted and if it did I live in rural Ireland.
I have a little experience with auto boxes but enough to know to stay away from them.
The problem might be with the engine underpowered rather than a autobox problem, get the codes read first and check all wheels and brakes are free
Tappets head area need checked/set, if no better check also timing as regards the noises in valve area

·
Registered
406 Posts
The engine is lacking in mid-range torque, so that might be the reason for the box changing down. Auto owners, what do you say?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Have you got the air con on, the fan runs constantly if you have...
If not it's more likely the temperature sensor/switch there's one on the radiator.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts