Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

So my wife's Rav (06, Sport, 4cyl) started to get the 40mph shudder from the transmission. Did a bunch of researching here & found the consensus is to change the fluid at minimum.

I have now done (3) drain & fills (first one I dropped the pan & changed the filter). 40mph shudder is pretty much gone; you dont at all feel the 'rumble strips' anymore.

My question is what happens after each drain & fill. I start the car, let it run & shift thru the gears...everything is fine. However, when I take it for a test drive, usually at the first stop the whole car shakes violently. It's scary to to come to a complete stop. It'll do it for a few more stops & then is fine...just stops. It did it again this past Friday when I did another drain/fill. Any ideas?

Just a little background on the vehicle:

Owned it since new, never any tranny problems. Changed oil/filter for the first time at 158k miles :surprise I know, I know...definitely should've done it over the years, but I'm no mechanic & thought it was 'lifetime' fluid per Toyota. :shrug:

Anyway, at 158k I dropped the pan, cleaned it out & changed the filter (used a Duralast filter: http://www.autozone.com/1/products/111144-transmission-filter-duralast-tf174.html). Refilled w/ OEM 'WS' fluid. Have done (3) drain/fills & am at 161.5k now. Shifts smooth...just whenever I change the fluid it shakes violently for the first few stops.

Anyway...any thoughts or ideas are much appreciated. Trying to keep this truck running another couple of years as it's been an excellent vehicle.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
It's an electrically controlled "adaptive" transmission. That means it learns your driving patterns and tailors its performance to you. By changing the fluid, you changed the way it performs. I would disconnect the battery for a few minutes to allow it to re-learn everything.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an electrically controlled "adaptive" transmission. That means it learns your driving patterns and tailors its performance to you. By changing the fluid, you changed the way it performs. I would disconnect the battery for a few minutes to allow it to re-learn everything.
Ahhh! Thanks Junebug! I'll give this a shot. I have to do another drain/fill on the tranny still. The fluid is much improved over the "coffee" I drained out of it the first couple times...but still not what I want to see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts