Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
This guy is a jerk. Driving that fast on a crowded road. Hope he's not on this forum.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Well then at least he wasn't texting while he was driving. Still, the advisory speed limit on the Autobahn is 81 mph. If you are involved in an accident while exceeding that speed then you can be held liable whether you are otherwise at fault or not. The Rav4 is not a Porsche or BMW which are typically designed for higher speeds.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Yeah I've driven the Abahn when I picked up my 3 series on European delivery.

I love toyotas but the rav4 ain't meant to drive at those speeds. Tires aren't rated for it.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I wish we could drive allot faster here in Australia (110 kmh speed limit) on selected Roads.

·
Registered
996 Posts
haha... clearly bunch of folks don't know what is Autobahn... Frankly Rav4 sucks at these speeds for autobahn daily driving. The engine noise is horrible and then you get BMW passing you.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well then at least he wasn't texting while he was driving. Still, the advisory speed limit on the Autobahn is 81 mph. If you are involved in an accident while exceeding that speed then you can be held liable whether you are otherwise at fault or not. The Rav4 is not a Porsche or BMW which are typically designed for higher speeds.
In an unlimited zone, there’s no advisory speed. Do what you feel. Speed zones stop counting after 130kmh.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would have liked to have seen the traction battery status during a long high speed run. I have often wondered whether the quoted power output can be maintained indefinitely with all electric motors flat out. Also remember that our European spec. cars have very nearly a +10% speedo error so its not far off the quoted top speed. Driving in a straight line at this speed is no problem other than unpredictability of the traffic you are passing, but on a twisty road or race track anything over 70 mph could soon get a little too exciting.

·
Registered
516 Posts
In an unlimited zone, there’s no advisory speed. Do what you feel. Speed zones stop counting after 130kmh.
Being from the other side of the pond, I'm in no position to dispute this. Could it be that Wikipedia needs an update then?

The Richtgeschwindigkeit (German Advisory or Suggested Speed of Travel) is a legal term in Germany describing the advisory speed limit for roads without a mandatory speed limit. Autobahns have an advisory speed limit of 130 kilometres per hour (81 mph) on non-signposted sections.

Exceeding the advised speed is not a criminal offense, but may result in greater liability in the case of a collision due to an increased danger of operating the vehicle.

In Germany, the Autobahn-Richtgeschwindigkeits-Verordnung (Directive on Reference Speed on Motorways), introduced in 1974, recommends a speed of no more than 130 km/h (81 mph) for autobahns and similar roads, whose lanes are separated by a median or which have at least two lanes per direction, provided there are no traffic signs posting a lower speed limit.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've driven the Autobahn several times, and it is quite the experience when you are tooling along at about 120mph (basically flooring it) in your rental car, see some lights flash way, way behind you, get out of the left lane (which people use ONLY to pass), and seconds later see a Porsche 911 flies past you like you are sitting there parked.

What this guy did in the video is perfectly normal over there, and I have done it myself. People know how to drive over there.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Being from the other side of the pond, I'm in no position to dispute this. Could it be that Wikipedia needs an update then?

The Richtgeschwindigkeit (German Advisory or Suggested Speed of Travel) is a legal term in Germany describing the advisory speed limit for roads without a mandatory speed limit. Autobahns have an advisory speed limit of 130 kilometres per hour (81 mph) on non-signposted sections.

Exceeding the advised speed is not a criminal offense, but may result in greater liability in the case of a collision due to an increased danger of operating the vehicle.

In Germany, the Autobahn-Richtgeschwindigkeits-Verordnung (Directive on Reference Speed on Motorways), introduced in 1974, recommends a speed of no more than 130 km/h (81 mph) for autobahns and similar roads, whose lanes are separated by a median or which have at least two lanes per direction, provided there are no traffic signs posting a lower speed limit.
Do not know which wikipedia you use but wikipedia.org says this:

While parts of the autobahns and many other freeway-style highways have posted limits up to 130 km/h (81 mph) based on accident experience, congestion and other factors, many rural sections have no general speed limit.

·
Registered
516 Posts

Do not know which wikipedia you use but wikipedia.org says this:

While parts of the autobahns and many other freeway-style highways have posted limits up to 130 km/h (81 mph) based on accident experience, congestion and other factors, many rural sections have no general speed limit.
I think we are referring to two different things. The mandatory speed limit (you) vs the advisory speed (me).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts