Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I don't know if this is the right place for this; I'm new, so sorry if this isn't the right place. I have 2008 Rav4. I bought it new of the lot, and I've been good about following the recommended services, but it's having this weird on and off issue. Ussually my car is pretty smoith and reasonably quiet. However, when the temperature rises it's more likely to start shaking. Tge problem last year, and I noticed as I was pressing on the brakes something in the front of the car started shaking and I heard this weird whiring noise almost like a belt. I brought it into the mechanic but they coukd replicate it. I w as ready to shake it off, until we hit a heatwave. Same thing. That day I bring it in. A few hours later the car wouldn't do it. I tried to bring it in twice more and even tapped SOB, but they couldn't diagnose it because it wouldnt do it at the mechanic. Than fall, winter, spring no shaking. First heatwave and it was back. Have you guys heard of anything like this. The shaking is worse with the ac on, but it still shakes with it off.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Welcome! This is a guess - possibly a problem with a tire which may not be quite round. When the temperature is cool and the pressure in the tire is somewhat lower that problem may not be as apparent as when the temperature is higher and any increase in tire pressure may accentuate an out-of-round problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'ld rather pay for a new tire than an engine, so I hope that's the case. A part of me is afraid it's going to be something more complicated than that.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
But it shakes even when parked, can it still be the tire?

If it shakes when parked the problem obviously isn't tire-related. As suggested above, maybe an engine mount situation . . . .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If that's the case what are other symptoms I should be aware of because I've brought thus to both a toyota and local mechanic, but it hasn't done it for them, so they were clueless. To check anything in or underneath the engine they want money down. I'm reluctant to shell out and have them come up empty handed. I had a mechanic last years was good enough to forego the fee when he couldn't find the cause, but not this year.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
It's possible for one to diagnose an engine mount problem without taking the vehicle to a mechanic. Some of the test procedure one can do on one's own while part of it is best done with a helper. For example, following the process shown in this YouTube video:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys, here's an update. My car did it again on Thursday I opened the hood up and tapped it. I then tried to bring it to the closest mechanic , but of course it wouldn't duplicate it. I took it back and left it at Toyota for the weekend. They said something along the lines, not an exact quote, that the throttle bottle and fuel injector systems were filthy they believed this was the cause of the shaking. My battery was also drained and my water pump was leaking. I am now a paycheck lighter, and I'm hoping that resolved it. They the mount looked fine. I'm hoping there's nothing else going on.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Thanks for letting us all know what has been done to sort out the shaking situation. Hope that the work which was done has resolved the problem.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Hey guys, here's an update. My car did it again on Thursday I opened the hood up and tapped it. I then tried to bring it to the closest mechanic , but of course it wouldn't duplicate it. I took it back and left it at Toyota for the weekend. They said something along the lines, not an exact quote, that the throttle bottle and fuel injector systems were filthy they believed this was the cause of the shaking. My battery was also drained and my water pump was leaking. I am now a paycheck lighter, and I'm hoping that resolved it. They the mount looked fine. I'm hoping there's nothing else going on.

Hopefully you'll be good to go. By the way, what did they do for the battery? If it's more than say, 4 or so years old, consider replacing it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts