Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
It would be great to see what kind of mileage users are getting with their RAV's. Great way to compare highway vs city mileage...combined highway and city mileage, winter vs summer mileage...etc.

We are still on our first tank of gas...engine not broken in and averaged 8.8L/100km which is 32 mpg imperial and about 28 mpg US.

It was a 4 hour highway trip home with some slowdowns for summer road work. I expect this to improve as the engine get broken in...our full time AWD Outback gets around 8.4 to 8.6L/100km....

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
6.2L/100kms. All city rush hour driving. No hi way at all. :)

Btw, you should probably do a search before starting threads like this, pretty sure it already exists and your other "what did you do to your rav" thread has already been closed for the same reason. Although I do think it would be nice to have one of those threads for each generation myself as well. I personally don't care what anyone has done to their 4.1-4.3 gen ravs.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yep - Fuelly is great! Track all our vehicle mpg's on the site. See badge below in signature:

·
Registered
248 Posts
We have a generally 50/50 mix of city and highway. Three different drivers who are medium to brisk in habits and seem to return about 25 mpg on most tanks in our 2016 Limited.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
6.2L/100kms. All city rush hour driving. No hi way at all
...FWD or AWD? I got that kind of mileage with our old TDI in the city...And I am going to miss that...that's 45.5 mpg...I find that hard to believe for a large gasser like the RAV.

Are you doing your own manual calculations at fill up or are you taking the reading off the car ECU computer? the car computers tend to be a little generous in their calculations.

As for fully...works great if you can record every fill. It is when you miss some due to other family members filing the car and not keeping records that things get messed up.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
...FWD or AWD? I got that kind of mileage with our old TDI in the city...And I am going to miss that...that's 45.5 mpg...I find that hard to believe for a large gasser like the RAV.

Are you doing your own manual calculations at fill up or are you taking the reading off the car ECU computer? the car computers tend to be a little generous in their calculations.

As for fully...works great if you can record every fill. It is when you miss some due to other family members filing the car and not keeping records that things get messed up.
Actually it's 38 mpg. I have the hybrid though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First fill up of the car today. The trip computer said 9.1L/100km which come out to 31 mpg...imperial gallons.

My manual calculation using the fill up numbers gave me 30 mpg..rounded up from 29.9.

Gonna be a long time getting used to these numbers compared to avg of 45 mpg that I got with the old TDI...:frown

Actually it's 38 mpg. I have the hybrid though.
...okay...that explains the numbers...makes sense now

·
Registered
423 Posts
I track my mileage pretty closely. The dashboard MPG reading is pretty inaccurate. Calculator figures show tanks vary between 25.5 and 27.5 MPG. AWD with a mix of driving, mostly up-and-down curvy mountain roads with minimal city driving. Hardly ever 'lead foot' it and 'coast' in 3 on the mountain descents.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My wife did a short 143 km (84 miles) and I just had to check the mileage...ECU said 8.2L/100km...which is 34.4 mpg imperial...28.6 US mpg.

Here's the kicker...my manual calculation from the fill up numbers came to exactly the same mileage. That shocked me because the ECU on our Outback is a little optimistic in it's calculation.

Tomorrow she is doing a 5 hr trip...car is topped up and ready to go...interesting to see what it will be..

·
Registered
379 Posts
My wife did a short 143 km (84 miles) and I just had to check the mileage...ECU said 8.2L/100km...which is 34.4 mpg imperial...28.6 US mpg.
That sounds about right. :)

Here's the kicker...my manual calculation from the fill up numbers came to exactly the same mileage. That shocked me because the ECU on our Outback is a little optimistic in it's calculation.
Actually, my 2013 Rav4 also tends to be optimistic too by my calculations but it varies sometimes. I've never really figured out why.

Tomorrow she is doing a 5 hr trip...car is topped up and ready to go...interesting to see what it will be..
Please let us know! :)

Drive Safe,
Steve R.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't bother with the computer calculations. Takes a moment to do the mental math. On our trip back from Washington DC this weekend, I did 29 mpg all highway.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That sounds about right. :)

Actually, my 2013 Rav4 also tends to be optimistic too by my calculations but it varies sometimes. I've never really figured out why.

Please let us know! :)

Well...the jury is back... I think that the ECU gives a bit of a optimistic view of the gas mileage. It's reading was 7.6L/100km or 37 MPG imperial gallons

drive was 537 km...filled with 43.16L of gas. I worked that out to be 8.3L/100km or 34 MPG imperial.

put the same data into fuelly.com and it came out to 8.0L/100Km, 35.1 MPG imperial, or 29.3 MPG US.

Not as good as the 'ol TDI..(avg 45 mpg)... the RAV has replaced....but darn good no matter which way you slice it. :smile

·
Registered
379 Posts
put the same data into fuelly.com and it came out to 8.0L/100Km, 35.1 MPG imperial, or 29.3 MPG US.

Not as good as the 'ol TDI..(avg 45 mpg)... the RAV has replaced....but darn good no matter which way you slice it. :smile
Getting into the 29's US mpg is about right by my experience. I've made a few trips with my 2013 Rav4 in the couple of years I've owned it. From the Houston area to southern Michigan once and a couple of trips to St Louis to visit family. I run the cruise control at speed limits +5 on the freeways so we're talking 70 to 75 mph in most places and that generally get in the 28's to 29's. The only time I see in the 30's is with a nice tail wind and, unfortunately, that doesn't seem to happen very often. With a headwind, I've had times when the car wouldn't pull 6th gear so I'm cruising in 5th and freeway numbers can easily drop to the low 27's or high 26's which is mildly disappointing but it is what it is.

You're not kidding..! I almost had a heart attack when I saw these numbers yesterday... and yes, I was dead stopped in traffic when I took the pic... lol...

And I have a gas RAV4, not a Hybrid... :)

View attachment 79089
I've had a few times when I checked the mileage display after a fresh fill up and saw "oh wow" average numbers but they never stay that way by the end of the tank. :)

Drive Safe,
Steve R.

·
Registered
97 Posts
So far on my 2013 RAV4 XLE with AWD the average is 23.385 miles per U.S., 87 octane, gallon. This is on hilly suburban roads with a 70 / 30 percent city / highway mix and computed with exact numbers on an Excel spreadsheet. Car currently has 46,500 miles and is well maintained with 0W20 synthetic oil changes every 4,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts