Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my new RAV.

2006 I4 4x2 w/leather. Classic Silver. This is the first new car I've ever purchased and want to maintain its shine as best as possible. We've been getting a lot of rain lately so I know it won't be long until it needs its first bath.

What products/process work best for you? Looking for info on brushes, cloths, wax, and wash solutions etc...

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I have a horsehair brush and use a good quality car wash and lot of water from the hose.. Then after, I remove the nozzle off the hose and let the water cascade over the truck and most of the water will run right off it. Very little drying to do. Then I have big high quality towels and try off the truck starting with the windows..

Only have done that once. Most times I keep on top of cleaning with a hand spray and towel to clean it off.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply flyingn. I was hoping you'd share what you do after seeing your latest pic. That red looks great. How do you handle waxing? I keep hearing people mention Zaino but have not heard of that..

Sorry to be asking what might be basic questions but to be honest, I've never had this nice of a looking auto that made me want to do more than auto carwashes

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Milagro said:
I keep hearing people mention Zaino but have not heard of that..
Try it - you'll love it. Is available only on the Internet (Zaino.com) not sold in retail stores.

Welcome, you picked a winner for your first new purchase - best of luck with it! :wink:

OC

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
no doubt that Zanio is a fine was/ sealant but I have it and used it on my show car (not the Rav) and liked it. Too long a prosess to properly apply tho and I do not feel that it is any better then others that I have used. Its expensive too. I would recommend a good store bought wax like Mothers or Maquires and you will be a lot happier.. I like the new Turtle wax Ice because you can apply in th esun adn you can also apply it to the blact trim without leaving the white residue on it. I used Ibiz on the rav.. I like it but it does leave the white powder in the crevices but it is very easy to apply and get off... Very easy..
http://www.ibiz-inc.com/

milagro said:
Thanks for the reply flyingn. I was hoping you'd share what you do after seeing your latest pic. That red looks great. How do you handle waxing? I keep hearing people mention Zaino but have not heard of that..

Sorry to be asking what might be basic questions but to be honest, I've never had this nice of a looking auto that made me want to do more than auto carwashes

·
Registered
423 Posts
I use Maguires, it really is top quality polish and so many variants.
We can get Zaino in the UK but it is hellish expensive and hard to source. Another one is Autoglim but you get quite a bit of white powder with it.
Clare

·
Registered
682 Posts
Been using and recommending Meguiar's for ages (i used to be a detailer) but next time i'm gonna try Autoglym which is meant to crap all over Meguiar's.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info -- guess I'll give Meguiars a shot. Thinking of getting one of those automatic buffers that look like a sander -- anyone have recommendations/experience w/ those things?

·
Registered
652 Posts
I don't use a buffer to apply the polish just to remove it. IMHO it works great. The main thing is know how to use it. CLEAN CLEAN pads and DON'T put any pressure on the buffer.....none.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I've used Meguiars for many years and really like carnuba(carnauba) wax. Just started using Zaino and love the product. My experience have differed from Frank (flyingn) with Zaino. I feel I can get a better, deeper shine with Zaino in about the same time. I've had to put on 4-5 layers vs. 2 coats of Zaino (old Chevy Baretta). Both dries about the same time (in fair weather, much longer for Zaino if cold), buffing is about the same. I hand buff with high quality cotton towels.

I haven't used Meguiars on the RAV, only Zaino. What I have noticed is that the 3 washings after the first (and only so far) application were a breeze. Dirt rinsed right off and I did a quick Zaino gloss spritz to enhance shine. With the older cars with Meguiars, I had to really sudz up the cars to get the dirt off. Anecdotally, it seems easier to wash with Zaino. It's been raining here this past weekend so I haven't been able to wash the RAV. Will do so this weekend if weather permits and see how easily the dirt and filth rinse off this time (3 weeks since last washing--sigh)

Zaino can get very expensive. A basic kit for Meguiars can cost around $20. Zaino basic kit will probably be doubled that, but a full kit is around $80 (I think).

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
its new paint save your $$ it will not help.. Its easy enough by hand..

I have one and don't use it

milagro said:
Thanks for all the info -- guess I'll give Meguiars a shot. Thinking of getting one of those automatic buffers that look like a sander -- anyone have recommendations/experience w/ those things?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok -- I'll try doing it manually first to see how that goes.

May have to sample both Maguires and Zaino and see which I prefer. Puttputt, can you tell me specifically which zaino product(s) you use? I was expecting only one product but checked out their website and see there's a ton of stuff you can buy there.. :?

·
Registered
682 Posts
I use an orbital buffer to apply polish and wax but take it off by hand. Using the buffer cuts down the detailing time by about half.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
The thing I like best about Zaino is it's durability, I can't find anything else that holds up for so long. Did my last coat on both my cars in late October , and after an automatic carwash about every 5 days in winter with salted roads (remember I'm an OC), they still bead up nicely. Yeh, it's expensive, but you don't have to get their whole line of products, and their Z-2 Pro, and Z-5 go along way. The spray enhancers Z-6, Z-8 are unbelievable, one 15 minute spray and wipe job seems to renew the finish almost as well as applying a second coat of the polish, also cleans without scratching if it's not too dirty, much better than the Meguiar's sprays.

When I had my detail biz back in the late Cretaceous era, before the dawn of clearcoats, I used and swore by Liquid Glass to my customers, that is until Zaino came around.

Wanna check out an interesting detail site go to Detail City. Everybody has their own opinion on what to use, that's cool, but it's also how you use it that counts! :wink:

OC

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just thought I'd post an update for anyone interested. Decided to try out the Zaino products and found a local distributor close by. For now I just got the essentials - ZFX/Z2 and Z6 and am VERY happy w/ the results. My RAV is only a week old and its paint looks better now than when I picked it up.

We have had unbelievable amounts of rain lately so I haven't taken the RAV out for pictures yet. Just so happened we had a day w/o rain when I was able to apply the Zaino. Since then I've driven in rain and am impressed at the beading and the way the water just rolls of the RAV. Since the Zaino is so expensive, I'm waiting to see how well it holds up over time and how easy car washes are between applications to see if I continue to use/purchase more. So far my experience has been good though..

·
Registered
233 Posts
There is a new franchise in Oklahoma called Kangaroo car wash. For $5 you get a spotless finish on your car. Free vacums too. The cars line up out into the street to get in on a sunny day.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One word.. ZAINO!

I've used it since day one on my Trans Am and the shine is unbelievable. Each additional coat you apply adds to the depth and increases the mirror like finish. It also does a good job repelling bug and tar stains. After a weekend trip to the cottage, I just run a soft clean rag over the front hood and bumper, and the bug smears slide right off.

It IS expensive and does take a lot of time and patience to apply. But once on, it will last for several months. To me the time invested is definitely worth it.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Davey68 wrote:
One word.. ZAINO!
Got that one right , bro! :wink: Show 'em how deep that red will go! I hear a several folks here mention that it's relatively difficult to use -

Don't totally agree on that - true, they encourage you to "strip" former wax/sealant with dishwash detergent, and claybar if necessary. I 've found that on brand new finish, clay bar most often times is not necessary. However I would attempt to remove previous coat of wax with anything I intended to use in the long run.

Once you get by the original prep mentioned above, the Z-1 surface cleaner goes right on and stays on..... just cover it with Z-2 final coat, and remove both at the same time.

Then it's just a matter of renewing with Z-2 at your leisure, or 15 minute spray renewals with their Z-6 spray. And the Z-2 final coat is very easy to work with, no white powder residue. 8)

OC

1 - 20 of 44 Posts