Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2021 XLE AWD. Its in for its 10k mile service. I mentioned to the service manager at highway speeds the transmission does not like to go into 8th gear on its own, I often have to engage the cruise and then back off 1mph on the cruise and then it will shift into 8th gear. I have heard that these 8speed transmissions have issues from time to time.

Has anyone experienced similar issues?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
1,589 Posts
2021 XLE AWD. Its in for its 10k mile service. I mentioned to the service manager at highway speeds the transmission does not like to go into 8th gear on its own, I often have to engage the cruise and then back off 1mph on the cruise and then it will shift into 8th gear. I have heard that these 8speed transmissions have issues from time to time.

Has anyone experienced similar issues?

Thanks!
The issues were in the 2019 and early 2020 models and were corrected by a TSB. The 2021 8 speeds are generally flawless. They are adaptive learning trans. The dealer can blank its memory so it relearns your driving style and adapts to it.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 LE AWD
23 Posts
I have noticed the same thing with my 21' . However I've noticed it stays in 7th way more on the highway @60mph when the ambient temps are really cold . . It has warmed up significantly over the past few days and I noticed the trans goes into 8th gear like it should . From what I gather many variables have to be met for the ECU to allow 8th gear to engage , engine load , coolant temp , ambient temp , speed , and much more play a factor in which gear it stays in .

·
Registered
2021 XLE Premium AWD
327 Posts
I notice when the car is cold and ambient temps are 45F or lower, it shifts hard or strange(usually from a stop until 3rd) until the fluid heats up. 21K miles. Anyone else?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts