Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.... I've had the Rav4 for about 5 or so years.. anyway.. I always wonder.. whats the best RPM's to shift? I've always shifted at 3000rpm.. and just today decided to let it go to 4000 just to see the difference... i wont go to 4000 in 1st.. just 2nd , 3rd and 4th.. and ive noticed that theres really no need to go into 5th unless ur cruising on the highway...

any comments / tips?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I usually change gear around 3 grand.......

By changing at 4 grand (during normal driving), your more likely using more fuel than you should.

I usually change into 5th once I reach about 80 KPH (about 55MPH)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Ah, the joys of an automatic. One thing I have noticed though is that Rav4s do make a racket when you drive them hard, which is suprising given that I thought they shared the engine from a Camry.

A few years ago I distinctly remember enjoying driving my work's 2000 Camry. I would routinely take it up to about 5000-6000RPM or so and it would really pull and sound nice. Now I have my 1999 Rav4 I would not dare drive it like this. There seems to be much less pull at the top end and so much noise. It seems like a completely different engine.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
The 2.0-litre 3S-FE engine used in the first-gen RAV4 was also used in the 1987-91 Camry and 1987-89 Celica. So it's not too surprising that it's a little coarse by current standards. In 1992 the Camry switched to the 2.2-litre 5S-FE.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well.. im just using it for normal driving.. it has over 219000 KM on it and I plan to keep it for MANY MANY more Km's.. i was just tryin it out to see if it would hurt the engine any to take it a little higher than normal..there is a lot of power in 3rd gear and I can take it to 80km/hr in 3rd but again i state im not going to do it again.. i was just seeing what kind of power it had in lower gears.. i know 4th and 5th arent that great for speed so i had to test it out

·
Registered
302 Posts
My shifting points are determined by situation and moods :twisted:
The beauty of a manual tranny on ANY small four banger is you can stretch your shifts out more so then with an automatic .
The Rav does have a bit of a power rush at about 4500 RPM 's .
My shifting is done in the 4 to 5000 range .
5th is used only on the highway after 100 kph .

·
Registered
542 Posts
i take mine to 6,000rpm in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd once in a while. if you don't do this the engine gets "lazy" and won't rev freely beyond where you normally change gear!
all other times i shift between 2,500 to 4,500rpm depending on the situation. i must admit though, 3,000 seems to be the cars "natural" rpm to shift gear!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts