Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear shock(s) blew at 45K just like everyone elses. The tire store replaced them with what they said were "OEM or better" shocks at $75ea+labor. My RAV4 Sport now handles like a covered wagon, bottoms out on every speedbump, and makes a noise like a straw going in and out of a slurpie lid. The ride on the highway is actually rather nice however, since the rear end floats.

Having said that, what are you guys replacing your shocks with? Toyota OEM shocks are junk obviously. Who makes similar "stiff" shocks for the Rav4-Sport which last more than 50K?

curiously,
-edfardos

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
There are other very good brands such as Bilstein, SACH, and KYB but I would replace mine with the Toyota ones.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may just go with the Toyota shock unless I can find a work-alike.

At this point all I know is that this shock:

Monroe OE Spectrum

Is as loose as my blown shocks on my 1994 Tacoma with 250,000 miles on it, and even louder.

I'll keep looking, if anyone else changed shocks on their SPORT's, let us know your results!

thanks again,
-edfardos

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Monroe spectrum are about the cheapest shock you can get...I have kyb on my sport sap and they seem the same as my stock Toyota shocks were...I will use their struts when it's time to do those...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KYB - sounds like a winner! Do you have specific part numbers? They're really stiff right? like the original toyota *SPORT* shocks?

thanks!
-edfardos

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about Bilstein B8(SP) (sp stands for sport). are these anywhere near the same stiffness as the stock toyota Sport shocks?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
How about Bilstein B8(SP) (sp stands for sport). are these anywhere near the same stiffness as the stock toyota Sport shocks?
The Bilstein Sport shock is quite stiff but I don't think they have that for the RAV. They have the Touring Class which is a bit softer.

Shockwarehouse.com have some of the lowest prices for KYB and Bilstein. You get free shipping also.

The Bilstein for the RAV is $61.20 each.

A good place for Toyota parts is : toyotapartsonline.com They price match also.
My Toyota Sport shock there is only $29 each. Not bad and it is cheaper than the KYB which is $51 each at Shockwarehouse. Like I said go with Toyota. The Sport suspension is not just painted blue for looks. It is a unique system that works together with the the front and rear with hydraulic fluids. That is why they are different than the Ltd and Base.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Bilstein Sport shock is quite stiff but I don't think they have that for the RAV. They have the Touring Class which is a bit softer.

Shockwarehouse.com have some of the lowest prices for KYB and Bilstein. You get free shipping also.

The Bilstein for the RAV is $61.20 each.

A good place for Toyota parts is : toyotapartsonline.com They price match also.
My Toyota Sport shock there is only $29 each. Not bad and it is cheaper than the KYB which is $51 each at Shockwarehouse. Like I said go with Toyota. The Sport suspension is not just painted blue for looks. It is a unique system that works together with the the front and rear with hydraulic fluids. That is why they are different than the Ltd and Base.
You mean Toyotaonlineparts.com?

Part Number : 48531-0R011
Part Number : 48531-0R020

Those are two rav4 shocks they sell, and they say they fit base, limited and sport. Do you recall the part number you ordered for the sport?

Thanks!

Edfardos

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
You mean Toyotaonlineparts.com?

Part Number : 48531-0R011
Part Number : 48531-0R020

Those are two rav4 shocks they sell, and they say they fit base, limited and sport. Do you recall the part number you ordered for the sport?

Thanks!

Edfardos

Correct that is the correct link. I did not order any for the sport I just suggest that is what I would order if I had to change them.

I have a 09 Sport with V6 and 4wd. The part number I see for my car was:
48531-0R020 (left or right) $29.72
(Seems engine size does not matter just the model - ie Sport)

48531-0R011 for Base and LTD. $29.83

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
We put the Bilstiens on the rear of our '11 Rav4 after the left OEM one barfed it's contents at only 35K. I don't feel they are stiffer than the OEMs but the had bottoming we were experiencing on sharp edged bumps is now gone. They were cheaper than the OEM ones too. So far at 75K miles they have out lasted the OEMs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts