Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed it myself yesterday for the second time on my 2009 v6 currently with 90k. Change every 30k. Was shocked that filter was way cleaner than I though it should be. But even more surprising was that the bottom of the filter was cleaner than the top. Air does flow from bottom to top, right? Old filter (Purolator) seemed to be installed properly - only one way it will go in - at least the two snap down latches were attached as they should be. Any and all comments would be welcomed.

Larry

·
Registered
54 Posts
Depends on where you live has a lot to do with dirty air filters...Not so surprising to see a clean AF w/30K and still clean..Both my last and current Toyota's have never got really dirty but I usually pop open the lid and check monthly...Don't let the dealer talk you into changing this or the cabin filter as you'll pay big bucks for the labor and parts..Both simple to change w/o any tools...Be safe..

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
No, the air flow is from top to bottom. Think about it--if it was from bottom to top, half of the crud caught by the filter would just fall down from gravity.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, the air flow is from top to bottom. Think about it--if it was from bottom to top, half of the crud caught by the filter would just fall down from gravity.
Somehow - I don't believe this reply is serious... and you're an administrator?? Can I please get some other feed back here??

·
Registered
112 Posts
My 2007 4cyl, the air does flow from bottom to top! That way, when the engine is turned off, crud falls off the filter due to gravity, to keep the filter clean(er) :)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Somehow - I don't believe this reply is serious... and you're an administrator?? Can I please get some other feed back here??
greyhound, you got feedback from the best of the best of the best. NEVER doubt for even an instant that JuneBug is trying to help. His 14,715 posts (to date) should be pretty solid evidence of that.

He has forgotten more about the RAV4 than I'll ever know. We should all be extremely grateful to have him available as a resource. JuneBug is one of the primary reasons this forum is literally the best resource in the world for information about RAV4s.

While he does have a great sense of humor, and does joke around from time to time, you always know when he's just having fun.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
greyhound, you got feedback from the best of the best of the best. NEVER doubt for even an instant that JuneBug is trying to help. His 14,715 posts (to date) should be pretty solid evidence of that.

He has forgotten more about the RAV4 than I'll ever know. We should all be extremely grateful to have him available as a resource. JuneBug is one of the primary reasons this forum is literally the best resource in the world for information about RAV4s.

While he does have a great sense of humor, and does joke around from time to time, you always know when he's just having fun.

I don't visit this forum much. I had a serious question based on concern upon discovering something totally unexpected and was reaching out to others who might be able to explain why I was seeing what I was seeing. I'm not questioning JuneBug's expertise - I can see his post count - and I can appreciate a line or two of sarcasm/ humor but I never did get a straight answer to my original post issues from him. :shrug: A couple of follow up lines would have been much appreciated. I felt I was left hanging.

·
Registered
8,538 Posts
If the Purolator air filter (they make good filters) was correctly installed as in the post it is unclear what sort of response was being looked for, even though the filtering results apparently were not what was expected. If there was no apparent lack of filtering efficiency as in contamination beyond the filter then the filter is doing its job, and that would be what a user and others would expect. There would be no apparent way that anyone could respond which would be useful beyond what was posted.

Another huge vote for JuneBug's expertise and helpfulness!

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
I don't visit this forum much. I had a serious question based on concern upon discovering something totally unexpected and was reaching out to others who might be able to explain why I was seeing what I was seeing. I'm not questioning JuneBug's expertise - I can see his post count - and I can appreciate a line or two of sarcasm/ humor but I never did get a straight answer to my original post issues from him. :shrug: A couple of follow up lines would have been much appreciated. I felt I was left hanging.
I agree. And you shamed me into checking mine - pure white, both sides. Since the top section on mine connects to the big part with the V6 on it it must go to the engine making flow from the bottom to the top as you concluded.
I've been here for seven years and this is a first. :egad:Our humble administrator is wrong. :shock: Maybe he's distracted by multitasking on some kitten forum or something. :lol:
Of course he can just edit or even remove his post and make us all look silly, but the guys you really have to watch out for are the moderators who can do the same thing incognito. :doh:

In the meantime, Welcome to the forum.

And, yes unless you live on dirt roads the air filters rarely need replacing, maybe every 100K miles.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I've been here for seven years and this is a first. :egad:Our humble administrator is wrong. :shock:
Well whaddaya know.

First sign of the apocalypse.

:wink

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
Well whaddaya know.

Or maybe the eclipse. Been hearing something about that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well whaddaya know.

:wink

I took his reply on air flow direction as SARCASM.. I was quite certain that it flowed from the bottom to top but couldn't understand how the TOP of my filter could be dirtier than the bottom. That's what I was hoping someone could shed some light on.

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
... but couldn't understand how the TOP of my filter could be dirtier than the bottom. That's what I was hoping someone could shed some light on.
Can't explain that one but I'd check the inside of the rest of the intake system to make sure it's clean.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have seen some contamination on the clean side of the air filter, I believe caused by the PCV system from some oil blow-by on the pistons possibly aggravated by deceleration on car with a manual transmission using engine braking going down long hills.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD (because FWD not in stock) with 20650 miles

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have seen some contamination on the clean side of the air filter, I believe caused by the PCV system from some oil blow-by on the pistons possibly aggravated by deceleration on car with a manual transmission using engine braking going down long hills.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD (because FWD not in stock) with 20650 miles

What I saw wasn't oily; gritty stuff like you'd expect to see on the intake side of the filter - which is why I started questioning air flow direction.

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
The top section of the air box on mine has a large maybe 3/4" hose connected to its front middle. Make sure the other end is connected where it's supposed to be. (I didn't look for that.)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The top section of the air box on mine has a large maybe 3/4" hose connected to its front middle. Make sure the other end is connected where it's supposed to be. (I didn't look for that.)
Good point. I'll do that. I know the top end was connected; not sure about the other end.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
Oh, y'all were talking about the ENGINE air filter, I thought you meant the CABIN air filter. Never mind! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh, y'all were talking about the ENGINE air filter, I thought you meant the CABIN air filter. Never mind! :)
I humbly submit after re-reading my original post that I did not make clear that it was the ENGINE air filter - not cabin - in question.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts