Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Got a set of steelies off Craigslist from an '07. Had 4 sensors from another set of alloys. Mounted my Blizzak WS80s with those sensors. Went to my local trusted mechanic, terrific shop, long time in business, have gone there forever. Tech said that his equipment could not associate the sensors in the wheels with my RAV, because his equipment it was requiring a code written on the sensor itself. Anyway, he apologized and sent me on my way, no charge.

Called the $tealer$ship, their equipment CAN reprogram the sensors, for a mere $120. Come springtime, I would then need to have the original alloys (now in my garage) reprogrammed for yet another $120. HA! Not happening.

Questions:

1) Anyone ever hear of this problem? Don't think I've read about it before.

2) I could have purchased 'reprogrammable' TPMS sensors and installed those in the steelies, but, if my understanding is correct, the tech would have the same problem getting my ORIGINAL wheels associated with the system in the spring.

3) I know there are threads here about dealing with the dash light in a variety of ways, I've read them, and am trying to decide if any of are worth the effort just to turn it off (no, I'm not going with electrical tape over the indicator, lol)

Thanks, all!

-kj-

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
Before installing the TPMS sensors into the rims, you must record the serial numbers of each sensor. Using Techstream or some other programmer, you can delete the old sensors and add in the new using their serial numbers.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
As JuneBug says . You should have gotten the TMPS sensors ID numbers BEFORE you had them installed in your winter tires and then you could have used Techstream to register them and save the ID numbers from your original spring tires .

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, all, very helpful. Is this stickied somewhere? I must have read a hundred messages about this topic but never saw anything about this step. Had the sensors sitting in a plastic bag for weeks, could easily have recorded the codes. :/ Seems like a waste to dismount/remount the snows just to get the codes. IDK what tool my shop was using, but I don't have Techstream and wasn't planning on acquiring it.

Another question: the $tealer$hip said there was a chance system might "forget" the codes in my non-winter wheels, is that right?

-kj-

·
Registered
158 Posts
You could always cover the light with some tape for this winter and then deal with the programming once it warms up again

Reactions: paperboy

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I'd rather not go that route.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Thanks, all, very helpful. Is this stickied somewhere? I must have read a hundred messages about this topic but never saw anything about this step. Had the sensors sitting in a plastic bag for weeks, could easily have recorded the codes. :/ Seems like a waste to dismount/remount the snows just to get the codes. IDK what tool my shop was using, but I don't have Techstream and wasn't planning on acquiring it.

Another question: the $tealer$hip said there was a chance system might "forget" the codes in my non-winter wheels, is that right?

-kj-
Techstream thread

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/92711-toyota-techstream-mvci.html

I used teachstream to make another key and add a TPMS sensor. Works great. I got mine off ebay and originally installed on an old netbook . Recently installed it on an windows 10 machine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-VCI-J2534-Diagnostic-Cable-For-Toyota-Lexus-Scion-TIS-Techstream-V10-30-29/282416095093?epid=2236966507&hash=item41c14f9f75:g:nl8AAOSwe6FaHQQ3

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Or you could do what I did: Have your tire shop get cloneable TPMS sensors for your second set of rims.

They copy the IDs of your original TPMS sensors.

So now each spring and fall I just swap wheels and I'm done.

It literally couldn't be any simpler, and it retains full TPMS functionality.

Easy peasy.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Or you could do what I did: Have your tire shop get cloneable TPMS sensors for your second set of rims.

They copy the IDs of your original TPMS sensors.

So now each spring and fall I just swap wheels and I'm done.

It literally couldn't be any simpler, and it retains full TPMS functionality.

Easy peasy.

I didn't realize they had such a thing. Good idea!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I didn't realize they had such a thing. Good idea!
Me neither, but that is a great idea. Where can cloneable sensors be purchased? Who is the manufacturer?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Where can cloneable sensors be purchased? Who is the manufacturer?
Although my local tire shop took care of the details, I just looked and this was written on the invoice:

315 Mhz Sensit Sensor

I get the impression you need a special device to program them, so it may not be a very DIY solution.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: jbwood5

·
Registered
328 Posts
Just found this programming tool. http://www.oscaroparts.com/dorman-tire-pressure-monitoring-system-programmable-sensor-974-515-5673505-17647-p?gclid=Cj0KCQiAsqLSBRCmARIsAL4Pa9S-g_dT9VWVXzRw1KSjdcinT9CLyGUfzobUGrWE4OACXmA__uftpxMaAlOoEALw_wcB Dorman sells cloneable sensors. The price of the programming tool is a bit beyond what a DIYer would pay... unless you had a few people or a few cars to justify the cost. Maybe there will be a PC software kit in the near future (or maybe there is one out there?)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Amazing!! This thing is worth it just to be able to read the codes from installed sensors when you don't know the codes. i.e. it takes care of the problem the OP had when the tire shop replaced the sensors and didn't record the code #'s. With the code numbers, the TechStream or dealer can register the codes in the computer. Much cheaper than taking off the tires, re-mounting and balancing them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts