Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shopping for a 4.4 with ~100k miles. Seems the only options in this gen are gas or hybrid engines, FWD or AWD, and trim level.

I'm going for gas engine and AWD. Probably XLE or Limited trim.

What should I look for in these vehicles with ~100k mileage? What are the usual failure points?

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
My 2015 AWD Limited was at 90,000 miles when I traded it in for a 2018 Adventure, (wanted the increased towing capacity). There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Limited and nothing failed during the time I owned it. Someone scored a nice car. The only thing it really needed was front brake pads, (first replacement set, that's how gently I pushed the car).

About the only thing I'd look for in purchasing one with that amount of mileage is to check the Carfax for any collision or flood damage and that it was serviced at the appropriate intervals at a Toyota dealership, (every 5,000 miles).

I've been hunting for a convertible 2008 Solara and I'm amazed how inconsistently they were serviced. So far, I have not found even one that was serviced at the recommended intervals. Why would I want to purchase a car that the previous owner neglected didn't properly maintain?

Finally, I would purchase a "used" RAV4 from a Toyota dealership. They will have checked out the vehicle for any deficiencies, (and fix them before selling). If a trade-in needed some type of expensive repair, they would wholesale the car out to someone else. A dealership will want to maintain their reputation and thereby will only sell vehicles that they know will not come back to them because the new owner is unhappy that something broke soon after purchase.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts