Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my "new" 1999 Rav4 L into a Toyotas-only shop for an inspection, and it looks like I got a good one. The timing belt has recently been changed, the auto trans fluid was clean, the coolant was clean, everything seems to be okay on it. It does need a new cruise control switch. Thermostat was bad so we put in a new one ourselves.

The engine light is on though and the scanner says EGR insufficient flow. But the mechanic just shrugged it off, said it doesn't really matter and it'll probably run better this way?? I guess I don't really understand. I said what about the engine light, and he said don't worry it'll start flashing if something really bad happens...lol.

Is this a common accepted view about EGR? My state is not very tough on emissions. .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take it to another shop. No light is a good light!

What was the error code P0401?
OBD II code P0401 Exhaust EGR Flow Insufficient
Yes. We can test the EGR valve but I'm assuming we will have to go all the way to the VSV and it looks like a bear to deal with in our cramped garage.

I don't mind throwing money at it but not at dealership prices, and the indy shop I went to doesn't seem to take it seriously. I guess there are others I can call.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Take it to another shop. No light is a good light!

^^^^^ What he says.

I would not have come out of the shop until the light was GONE !!

·
Registered
39 Posts
When a motor gets older, and starts burning more oil, you'll get more blowby in the exhaust gasses, which will cause an oily build-up in the EGR. Either the valve or lines could probably stand to be cleaned out, and probably the idle air valve as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When a motor gets older, and starts burning more oil, you'll get more blowby in the exhaust gasses, which will cause an oily build-up in the EGR. Either the valve or lines could probably stand to be cleaned out, and probably the idle air valve as well.
Tristero I wonder why the mechanic thought it might run better in its current condition? Do these emission devices just get in the way?

Anyway the light does bother me so I'm taking it back in Thursday. The mech thinks it may just be the modulator..hopefully he won't have to go all the way to the VSV. He has all parts on hand..

I still think I got lucky with this thing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There are many good links on vsv replacement.
Basically, leave the old one in place, get the connector off and clip the hoses as close it it as you can, I pulled mine off.
Mount a new one on the firewall and re-route hoses and clip to this location. Not OEM look, but saves you a lot of time and money.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Tristero I wonder why the mechanic thought it might run better in its current condition? Do these emission devices just get in the way?

Anyway the light does bother me so I'm taking it back in Thursday. The mech thinks it may just be the modulator..hopefully he won't have to go all the way to the VSV. He has all parts on hand..

I still think I got lucky with this thing.

Maybe everything you would want to know (and not!) about the EGR: Faulty EGR Valve Symptoms and EGR Valve Cleaning - EnkiVillage

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you believe it, made a special appointment with the shop to go through the EGR thing and replace whatever, and again he said it's just not necessary. He said "it's doing what it's supposed to do" and he couldn't see anything wrong with it. If anything was wrong, it was the VSV. He said the only thing to do would totally replace the whole EGR-modulator-VSV sequence, and I knew that was 400 and I whiffed at the expense after what he had said.

My husband is warming up the the Rav (put the rear flaps on for me today) so maybe later on when it's warmer we can do the VSV ourselves.

But I can't help think that I have found on honest, disinterested shop to use if something serious goes wrong.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I tried to find that unused bolt hole on the firewall but everything was in use. There were two bolts and the one I think he means is holding a clip that holds a hose.

Does this have something to do with the AWD/4WD difference?

[edit] ANSWER: it's the auto/5 speed difference. the bolt holds some hoses for automatic..DH still thinks he can share that bolt hole with the stuff there now with a longer bolt.

What a bear getting at that thing!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts