Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 RAV4 Hybrid XLE - 2300 miles

Hello, experience a problem last week driving on the highway. While driving 75 mph, I took my foot off gas pedal to coast, the "EV" light came on for about "1/2 - 1" second and then went off. If I happened to press the gas pedal at the time the light was on at about 65-70 mph, I experienced a shaking, vibration, and a feeling that I ran over something for about a 1/2 second timeframe. It was very noticeable and troubling. If I waited the second for the light to go off while coasting, then no problems. I was able to constantly recreate the EV light coming on while coasting down from 75 and 4 times, I (gently) accelerated at the moment the EV light came on around 65-70 and experienced the shaking.

I took it to my dealer and they could not recreate, no computer codes, and indicated that this is normal since the electric and gas is "out of sync" at the high speed. This was certainly not normal to me. I can not recreate driving on my local highways now. The EV light does not come on while coasting down from 75 mph. The one difference is that I was sustaining 75 mph last week for a long time on my trip last week (no cruise control).

My thought is that the EV light should never had come on (even for a 1/2 second) at the high speeds and there is a problem somewhere. Any thoughts as what to do next to find the root cause of the problem ? Is this really normal ? Is this something that is part of the "break-in" ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That's odd...MG1 will overspeed past about 45MPH so the ICE has to stay on to prevent that overspeed condition. It's interesting that your ICE is shutting off at 75MPH.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
There's no such thing as a significant problem without an error code.
Its normal to have an occasional shake or "stumble" when transitioning from ICE off to ICE on.
FWIW, there is actually an undocumented "EV mode" that's active up to about 70mph or a bit less. There's a point around there where the ICE must start running in order to go any faster. If you happen to find that exact point you will experience the ICE starting and stopping as you bounce around that magic speed. Below that point the ICE is starting and stopping as you release or press the throttle.

Of course the dealer has no idea, they know about as much about hybrids as you do.
The electric and ICE motors are never "out of synch", since they are both connected to the same gear set. There is a "torque dampener" on the ICE that allows it to "disconnect" from the electric motor.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
That's odd...MG1 will overspeed past about 45MPH so the ICE has to stay on to prevent that overspeed condition.
Incorrect. The Gen-3 system uses an additional planetary gear set that allows the ICE to shut off up to around 70mph. Give or take a few depending on the final drive ratio in that model. Of course as soon as you touch the throttle it starts again. The exception to that would be engine braking or sport mode.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Incorrect. The Gen-3 system uses an additional planetary gear set that allows the ICE to shut off up to around 70mph. Give or take a few depending on the final drive ratio in that model. Of course as soon as you touch the throttle it starts again. The exception to that would be engine braking or sport mode.
I thought anything before gen 3 would overspeed past 20 MPH and the gear reduction planetary gear set was what allowed it to go 45 MPH? Not in a spot to verify right now.

·
Registered
229 Posts

Hello, experience a problem last week driving on the highway. While driving 75 mph, I took my foot off gas pedal to coast, the "EV" light came on for about "1/2 - 1" second and then went off. If I happened to press the gas pedal at the time the light was on at about 65-70 mph, I experienced a shaking, vibration, and a feeling that I ran over something for about a 1/2 second timeframe. It was very noticeable and troubling. If I waited the second for the light to go off while coasting, then no problems. I was able to constantly recreate the EV light coming on while coasting down from 75 and 4 times, I (gently) accelerated at the moment the EV light came on around 65-70 and experienced the shaking.

I took it to my dealer and they could not recreate, no computer codes, and indicated that this is normal since the electric and gas is "out of sync" at the high speed. This was certainly not normal to me. I can not recreate driving on my local highways now. The EV light does not come on while coasting down from 75 mph. The one difference is that I was sustaining 75 mph last week for a long time on my trip last week (no cruise control).

My thought is that the EV light should never had come on (even for a 1/2 second) at the high speeds and there is a problem somewhere. Any thoughts as what to do next to find the root cause of the problem ? Is this really normal ? Is this something that is part of the "break-in" ?

Thanks.
I too have experienced this in our 2016 RAV4 XLE Hybrid. I thought it was something in the first year model but I never saw anyone mention this until now. 90% of the miles driven so far are highway and I have experienced it several times. If you pull over, turn the car off and on again, it will not happen again. It is very random and I will not experience it again for many miles. I would say it happened about 2000 miles ago and kept happening at random during the entire trip. I was running late and driving with the herd at their speed. Definitely think we are on to something, but I do not think most people will experience this since most people do not have long commutes everyday. Also, considering the miles I have already driven, I would say it is a non issue for something so random. I attribute it to some quirky glitch in the system somewhere, nothing is perfect. Overall I am very happy with everything. I just keep it in mind to expect the RAV4 Hybrid shimmy every so often.:smile

·
Registered
87 Posts
That's really interesting, we have a 25 mile commute one way at 70MPH and have never had it shut off the ICE on a decel until 45MPH. Our '16 was manufactured in May of '16.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I thought anything before gen 3 would overspeed past 20 MPH and the gear reduction planetary gear set was what allowed it to go 45 MPH? Not in a spot to verify right now.

As I said, its an "undocumented" EV mode. The ICE isn't running but EV mode is not displayed either. Again, any throttle will start the ICE.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Would the ICE RPMs captured over OBDII show 0 in this state? Been tempted to hook up my ScanGauge but haven't yet.

·
Registered
138 Posts

Thanks.

Was your engine from China or Japan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'll have to look at ours tonight since I still have our window sticker...Don't recall seeing a foreign parts declaration portion, though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I too have experienced this in our 2016 RAV4 XLE Hybrid. I thought it was something in the first year model but I never saw anyone mention this until now. 90% of the miles driven so far are highway and I have experienced it several times. If you pull over, turn the car off and on again, it will not happen again. It is very random and I will not experience it again for many miles. I would say it happened about 2000 miles ago and kept happening at random during the entire trip. I was running late and driving with the herd at their speed. Definitely think we are on to something, but I do not think most people will experience this since most people do not have long commutes everyday. Also, considering the miles I have already driven, I would say it is a non issue for something so random. I attribute it to some quirky glitch in the system somewhere, nothing is perfect. Overall I am very happy with everything. I just keep it in mind to expect the RAV4 Hybrid shimmy every so often.:smile

Thanks for the tip about turning off / on. This might be more random than I thought. For my 20ish mile commutes, I did not experience the problem and when I had cruise on for a long time for the "going to" part of my trip, I did not experience the problem. I do consider the shaking (while brief) to be significant and hard to accept this as normal. Toyota has been sending me surveys, etc, maybe I can get their attention or check with another dealer.

Thanks.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks for the tip about turning off / on. This might be more random than I thought. For my 20ish mile commutes, I did not experience the problem and when I had cruise on for a long time for the "going to" part of my trip, I did not experience the problem. I do consider the shaking (while brief) to be significant and hard to accept this as normal. Toyota has been sending me surveys, etc, maybe I can get their attention or check with another dealer.

Thanks.
Let me know what happens if you go to another Dealership. This issue will be difficult to duplicate I think. My commute is 80 miles each way, or 160 miles a day. Even with my commute I still do not see the issue so frequently. Driving into work today, I tried to replicate it again as I was thinking about this discussion and it did not happen at all. Towards the end of the trip, I switched to sport mode just to see if I could get it to happen in that mode too and nothing happened. In my opinion, I believe it is a minor issue that lies in the programming. As more people report it, I think that it will be looked into further.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'll have to look at ours tonight since I still have our window sticker...Don't recall seeing a foreign parts declaration portion, though.

It's on the small white window sticker. It shows breakdown on country where parts were made from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
The content label is either part of the monroney sticker or a separate label, it's not on my monroney sticker, so I have no idea where the engine was made, the label was removed sometime prior to my first seeing it by my dealer or the transferring dealer or port. FYI some '15 and '16 gas (likely '17 too) model Rav4s also had China sourced 2.5L AR engines.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/109-4-4-electric-rav4-hybrid-ev/223369-rav4-hybrid-engine-china-3.html#post2080497

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
I wonder, if the shaking you experienced, had to do with the ICE, attempting to start, but not being able to, during that very brief period. I am basing this on you stating, you were stepping on the gas pedal, when it happened.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wonder, if the shaking you experienced, had to do with the ICE, attempting to start, but not being able to, during that very brief period. I am basing this on you stating, you were stepping on the gas pedal, when it happened.

coasting down from ~50, ev light comes on, gently step on gas, never a problem. ev-ice, ice-ev has always been smooth at that speed or less.
coasting down from 75, ev light (briefly) comes on, gently step on gas at that time, and a "wtf" moment that lasts less then 1 second.

Since this happened, I have never seen the EV light come on coasting down from 75......... hopefully this is more rare than I thought. Running this by dealer #2 on Friday.

Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This same issue happened to me last night. Coasting on a downhill for about 70mph when ev mode activated. I noticed this when I stepped on the gas pedal to accelerate and a brief but very strong engine vibration occurred. The jerking disappeared after the ICE activated. Similar to other posts, this happened to my RAV during a long drive. I was driving for more than 3 hours at highway speeds when this occurred, though happened only once, few minutes away to our destination. Seems to me the problem is appearing after driving the car for several hours that's why it's hard to replicate.
I'm scheduling a visit to the dealership to have it checked. Does anyone with the same problem have brought this to the dealership's attention and if so what corrective measures was taken? I'm concerned that due to the difficulty of replicating this problem, it might be difficult to diagnose. Appreciate your inputs!

Thanks

1 - 20 of 70 Posts