Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gotten pretty good at some of the basics. Oil, obviously, but I also did an o2 sensor, the coolant flush, transmission flush, and front differential with no problems (Thanks to youtube and a lot of smart people). Most of the electrical stuff is pretty easy to do, too. The plugs, on the other hand, look incredibly complicated. I have the 6 cylinder and I looked at one of the threads on how to do it, and the ones in the front look easy enough, but the stuff in the back....you have to take off the windshield wipers, some sort of motor for that, the air intake, a bunch of other stuff and apparently it takes like 5 hours to do the job, would going to a mechanic be the smarter option for that one? If I take it to a mechanic, how much would they charge? Less than $300 and it seems worth it, more than $300 I guess I'll get the plugs and see if someone can help me.

Also: The plugs I looked at, the NGK 6619 say the gap is at 1.1mm, is that the right gap for the Rav?

And how do you get the plug out? I read a lot of the sockets won't pull them out. Magnet? Some sort of really long thin pliers? And should the socket be fixed to an extension or by itself?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
The 3 plugs in the rear are below the intake manifold. Toyota says the original iridium plugs do not need to be changed until you hit 120,000 miles! These factory plugs are DENSO FK20HR11. To remove the plugs you need a spark plug socket that has a rubber insert that grips the plug and keeps it in the socket. This, along with a good ratchet with extension should do the trick. There is no need to remove the wipers, I believe that was on a Highlander. Check out this thread:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/87788-spark-plug-change-2007-v6-diy-not-too-complicated.html

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That video on that thread looks like it's for a different engine than what I have. I have the 2GR-FE. And not one video on youtube for the Rav4 version of that.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Price breakdown of your quote

Labor
Spark Plugs Replacement
Labor fees $140.00
Parts included Brand Quality
Spark Plug x 6 Denso New, OEM Quality $86.28
Total cost of parts $86.28
Tax on parts $5.18
TOTAL $231.46

https://www.yourmechanic.com/book/

Unfortunately the closet mechanic is 80 miles from your location. Use this as a template for prices. Or go to STS tires, you have one near you, with the plugs and see how much they charge for labor.

Mavis Discount Tire
92 Danbury Rd.
New Milford CT 06776
860-325-0383

Part Price Quantity Total
2012 TOYOTA RAV4 3.5L V6
Ignition : Spark Plug
DENSO 3426 {#FK20HR11} Iridium Long-Life (SIP) Info
Gap 0.044; DENSO is OE Manufacturer; Patented Iridium Alloy Plug (90% Ir) with Platinum Ground Strap
Selected:
+ Sold in packs of {x}; Price reflects cost of each individual item, not the pack
Our Spark Plug Gapper / Feeler Gauge tools are available to help you check, set, and adjust your spark plug gap prior to installation.
If your owner's manual recommends platinum, double platinum, or iridium spark plugs, don't downgrade to copper spark plugs. They won't perform as well or last as long as the OE recommended spark plugs.

DENSO 3426 {#FK20HR11} Iridium Long-Life
$9.44
$56.64 Remove
Subtotal $56.64
Discount -$2.83
Country Zip/Postal Code
Calculate Shipping
Shipping (You should receive by Tuesday, November 22)
Total $57.80
How Did You Hear About Us?

2012 TOYOTA RAV4 3.5L V6 Spark Plug | RockAuto

·
Super Moderator
11,102 Posts
That video on that thread looks like it's for a different engine than what I have. I have the 2GR-FE. And not one video on youtube for the Rav4 version of that.
It is indeed the same engine as yours and in a RAV. The top plastic cover is removed.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
From the question you're asking about tools & methods I'd suggest having a shop do the job. Unless of course you want to come to Stonington and use my tools & methods.

·
Super Moderator
11,102 Posts
Since you were not aware of the existence of a spark plug socket I would recommend you pay to have it done. I have the tools and perhaps even the knowledge to change the rears but I would not mess with it frankly.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Did mine at 50,000 miles I think, and they were really hard to get out because they were froze in there. Took a lot of wiggling back and forth to loosen them up. I was afraid I was going to break them and luckily I didn't. The engine ran a little better with the new plugs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts