Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last car was a 2006 Matrix Never replaced anything but the front brakes.Drove it for 200,000 miles.Standard trans.
Bought a 2007 Rav 4 clean as a whistle. All the service records etc 4 cyl 4 wheel drive with
120000.I have the 40MPH grind noise and it lost 2QT's of oil on the drive from Florida to Maine.Never noticed the grind noise during the test drive.
Both my wife and I like the car.BUT I believe after doing a lot of reading in this forum,they have many problems.Tons of problems.I have two I know about.Sounds to me like these are JUNK.Motors Tranny,s .The Matrix was our first Toyota and I guess I figured they were all good.I guess my question is ,Should I just get rid of it.I don't see many I got 200,000 and never had a problem posts..The Toyota dealer is 90 miles away.They are going to check my growling noise next week .Then have to go back for repair If they find anything.Then I guess i'll have to get oil run down thingy. Sounds like these babies have about a 100,000 miles or less lifespan.
I,m 64 and know a bit about cars Do my own work on them after warranty.
Don't get me wrong We love the car But you can't polish a turd

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
You're 64 and claim to know a bit about cars yet you buy one with 120k on it and are surprised that it has problems???...please sell it and get another matrix and go sing the praises of that trouble free car someplace else...

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Get rid of it? I agree - and have trailer will travel. Will haul your junk away for free.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like you to guys are like the forum genius,s
A 102,000 mile car or truck in today's world is low mileage.These Rav 4,s are junk .they need a piston job at under 100k.Not to mention the tranny and many other things.Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sorry to hear Terry - there is a reason I bought a v6 Gen3 RAV4:
- a local 2008 Limited, that I could personally inspect and test drive / dealer maintained bonus
- private sale (turned out to be a Doctors vehicle) and I have always stayed away from Dealer lots
- not interested in 4 cyl. and turbos on some brands / later joining forum, found out 2008 and earlier can be oil burners
- v6, leather, moonroof was on my must have list / why it took me a half year to buy the first one I phoned on

Our vehicle was purchased with 89,000 Canadian Km last summer (= 55,000 US miles) and have put on 25,000 Km since / all trouble free - and simply thrilled with it.
But when it has higher mileage (200,000 US miles / 300,000 Km), probably in 5 years time / going for another v6, either a used Lexus RX350 or Highlander.

Its unfortunate Terry, you may have bought a 4 cyl. lemon.
- picking a good used vehicle, takes patience and much planning
- I also like to avoid auction cars that have been detailed into the 9's, that dealers like to flip
- some are often traded in, with drive line problems
Buying used - buyer beware / you probably did't do enough, to minimize or hedge your risk.

·
Registered
118 Posts
You should have bought a 1st gen rav4 instead. 214K miles and I have yet to replace the timing belt/water pump.....although I should do that immediately haha.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Looks like you to guys are like the forum genius,s
A 102,000 mile car or truck in today's world is low mileage.These Rav 4,s are junk .they need a piston job at under 100k.Not to mention the tranny and many other things.Keep up the good work.
Well we do what we can and recognition is always appreciated...as far as the rav being junk goes I think you're just a whiner that is upset that you didn't do your due diligence in researching the vehicle you bought...you're not the first fool to come on this board and piss n moan over these "junky cars" and you won't be the last...the issues you have are both being covered under extended warranties by Toyota and if your brilliant self had done the slightest amount of research ahead of time you would have read to AVOID the 06-08 2.4 motors...I have a v6 sport that is probably the best overall balanced vehicle I have ever owned...

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Get rid of it? I agree - and have trailer will travel. Will haul your junk away for free.
Oh yeah Terry, as rav4system mentioned, kindly have Toyota fix your engine and transmission before I come haul the junk away. :wink
And I'm thinking of hauling the trailer with my V6 RAV4 - would look neat going down the highway at 75. :thumbs_up:

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
Either get rid of it or see if Toyota will correct your two problems under extended warranty.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
My last car was a 2006 Matrix Never replaced anything but the front brakes.Drove it for 200,000 miles.Standard trans.
Bought a 2007 Rav 4 clean as a whistle. All the service records etc 4 cyl 4 wheel drive with
120000.I have the 40MPH grind noise and it lost 2QT's of oil on the drive from Florida to Maine.Never noticed the grind noise during the test drive.
Both my wife and I like the car.BUT I believe after doing a lot of reading in this forum,they have many problems.Tons of problems.I have two I know about.Sounds to me like these are JUNK.Motors Tranny,s .The Matrix was our first Toyota and I guess I figured they were all good.I guess my question is ,Should I just get rid of it.I don't see many I got 200,000 and never had a problem posts..The Toyota dealer is 90 miles away.They are going to check my growling noise next week .Then have to go back for repair If they find anything.Then I guess i'll have to get oil run down thingy. Sounds like these babies have about a 100,000 miles or less lifespan.
I,m 64 and know a bit about cars Do my own work on them after warranty.
Don't get me wrong We love the car But you can't polish a turd
Sorry you ran into problems with your RAV, but the time to do your "due diligence" is before you buy. Obviously that's a moot point now, so I would agree you should sell it and if you like the RAV, get a newer 4 cyl or any V6. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The '09 and later models have a different 2.5L 4 cylinder engine. These don't seem to be afflicted with the oil consumption problem. Our '11 never needs oil between the 5000 mile changes, in fact the level doesn't even seem to change. I don't think there is a history of transmission problems though. Maybe lack of maintenance or abuse?

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
Great move! Congrats on the new ride.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts