Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide whether or not to get side molding on our RAV. I think it may take away from the nice lines it has.

So, I did a little photo editing, and added some molding onto our RAV. I think it does take away from the "sexy" lines. I also think it makes the RAV look "older"...

What do you think?

You can view it in my photo album.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I guess if you don't like the look of the side moldings, you could opt for those. I wish i would've discovered them earlier, as the side trim on my car is pretty bad. Look at the pic, that was almost a year ago, now it's worse :( :evil: thanks to those stupid people that have no respect for other people's cars. Not only i have dings on the trim, but also on the rear door itself :(

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yikes garfieldgurl!!

YEARS and YEARS ago, the DAY we got our minivan (my dd was just a wee tot then)...a huge gouge was taken out of one of our panels!! The DAY we got it! LOL! I was SO mad!! We hadn't even gotten the thing home before it was dinged.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My personal opinion I don't like the style after you put the trim up. I have my matrix over 3 years and there is no dent on both doors....hope I can keep it up.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I guess its all subjective, I like the look better with the side molding. The RAV4 looks too plain from the side, needs some detail. The side molding adds detail much like a pin stripe. I wish they would make color matched lower side cladings for the RAV4.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The G Man said:
I guess its all subjective, I like the look better with the side molding. The RAV4 looks too plain from the side, needs some detail. The side molding adds detail much like a pin stripe. I wish they would make color matched lower side cladings for the RAV4.
We have the pinstriping...even though it is hard to see in the photo. That does help the sides somewhat.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
michael said:
Do you have the closeup picture?
Okay...I uploaded a larger image. Remember...this isn't actual molding, I was just playing around in Photoshop seeing if I would like the molding or not.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Personally, I like the SportWing 2-1/2" wide molding that purduealum91 found! 8)

Kinda pricey, but it's custom painted to match your vehicle and has a 5-year 50k-mile warranty -- and hey, if it saves your doors from dings...

Probably would look something like this Trailblazer's installation...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
karrock said:
Personally, I like the SportWing 2-1/2" wide molding that purduealum91 found! 8)

Kinda pricey, but it's custom painted to match your vehicle and has a 5-year 50k-mile warranty -- and hey, if it saves your doors from dings...
I'll have to see what they look like on the RAV after he installs his...maybe it is the artist in me that doesn't want to cut into the lines of the RAV.

Yesterday, as I was driving...I was really looking at other cars and SUVs to see what they had. A lot of the sports cars I saw didn't have the molding...whereas the "family sedans" did. Most of the SUVs I saw did have molding, some did not. I realized how much I really like the looks of the cars that did not have the molding. Argh! Decisions...decisions! LOL!

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess you could wait and see if you ever get a ding.
Then you can use the molding to cover it. :roll:

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Alot of the new cars now a days use varible gauge side panels instead of side moldings. The part of the door where they think will get the most dings are actually thicker than the rest of the door. Honda has been doing this for about 5-6 years now. In my option, it doesn't really work, there is just no way they can tell where a door might get dinged.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
flyingn said:
the thught of that makes me shudder.. :shock:

hit_the _road said:
I guess you could wait and see if you ever get a ding.
Then you can use the molding to cover it. :roll:
Me too!

My husband laughed about this discussion, and told me I should get some of these:

Hmmm...I think the black would look the best! LOL!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't know what to say?! LOL!.... At first, I thought surely it was a joke! YIKES!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts