Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have poured over this forum before and after purchasing my RAV and heard about the issues with oil line and water pump. So I am wondering if I should try to replace these parts now before they go out and cause damage.

It has 100k miles on it. I took it to the dealer to have them look at both parts and they said both were in good condition.

It does not appear that I got the recall part on the oil line (could be wrong on this one, but I don't see the yellow line on the rubber part nor is it the all metal one) According to the records from the dealer, all recall work has been done on this vehicle though.

Of course I'm concerned about cost, but long term fixing one or both of these would be cheaper than replacing engine.

Are there signs to see if one or other is necessary before making the decisions? If it hasn't had problems by now am I in the clear? Should I replace the water pump anyway since it is around 100k (this I'm especially curious about since this vehicle has a timing chain and before I always changed pump with the belt, but this car might not ever need a timing chain replacement??):confused:

Thank you so much for any help!!:D

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
I wouldn't change the water pump since it doesn't cause instant damage usually just starts leaking gradually. And there's no guarantee it ever will leak. Ours has 110K and is fine.

Different story on the oil hose. Instant serious engine issues if it fails and dumps the oil. Had mine replaced under the recall/warranty but it turns out (info from the dealer and Toyota mechanic friends) that all they do on at least '06 & '07 models is replace the hose section. With my wife driving the car most of the time I was nervous about that so I bought the metal one for later model V6s and changed it myself. There's a thread on it but I don't have search time right now. Just wanted to get your questions answered quickly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't change the water pump since it doesn't cause instant damage usually just starts leaking gradually. And there's no guarantee it ever will leak. Ours has 110K and is fine.

Different story on the oil hose. Instant serious engine issues if it fails and dumps the oil. Had mine replaced under the recall/warranty but it turns out (info from the dealer and Toyota mechanic friends) that all they do on at least '06 & '07 models is replace the hose section. With my wife driving the car most of the time I was nervous about that so I bought the metal one for later model V6s and changed it myself. There's a thread on it but I don't have search time right now. Just wanted to get your questions answered quickly.
Thank you so much Dr. Dyno! What a relief since I know that water pump job is not cheap! I did find the part number, but do you recommend a supplier?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Fpaquet if in the future you need to get a water pump check Rockauto.com Get the Denso water pump it is the same company that makes the Toyota one at a cheaper cost. You can also look on Ebay or Amazon which has the same part number to compare if they are lower. No need to get it at the dealer since many places sell Denso parts at a lower price.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, I'm glad y'all fought that- sounds like a nightmare but great they covered everything and fixed in the end. Also, sounds like I need to change that oil line asap!

To Dr.Dyno andDL175- Y'all have covered everything and I feel a lot less anxiety about my new RAV- I super appreciate it!:D

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Wow, I'm glad y'all fought that- sounds like a nightmare but great they covered everything and fixed in the end. Also, sounds like I need to change that oil line asap!

To Dr.Dyno andDL175- Y'all have covered everything and I feel a lot less anxiety about my new RAV- I super appreciate it!:D
Many happy miles!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts