Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 V6 4wd. 144k on the car and these tires are about 5 years old with 55k miles and will need to be replaced soon.

I have two main questions.

1. Should I replace the spare tire too? It is now a 10 year old tire and it has never been driven on as far as I know (I'm the second owner, purchased with 66k miles and I have never used it).

2. If I get all 5 tires replaced, should I then rotate all five tires? Btw, I have the sport that has a matching spare rim.

I did a few searches and found some info on rotating 5 tires, but nothing on replacing the spare. All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
Similar situation here except no matching spare rim so the old spare never gets moved - just hangs there looking good :thumbs_up: while I replace the other four.

In your case I'd replace all five and rotate the spare in. That way you actually get use out of the spare and DIY rotating only requires jacking up one wheel at a time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I rotate all 5 tires as specifies in the TIRE RACK webcite. My first original TOYO tire set lasted 65k miles. I rotated every 10k miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Owners manual has you covered as it shows both 5 tire and 4 tire rotations. Whether you want to rotate the spare or not is your choice.

10 years is plenty of time for a tire to dry rot and crack. Replace the spare if you to use the spare in a 5-tire rotation.

If you just want to replace and rotate only 4, consider how often you use the spare. If never or rarely, coat in tire glaze, check pressure, and don't bother replacing it.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Owners manual has you covered as it shows both 5 tire and 4 tire rotations. Whether you want to rotate the spare or not is your choice.

10 years is plenty of time for a tire to dry rot and crack. Replace the spare if you to use the spare in a 5-tire rotation.

If you just want to replace and rotate only 4, consider how often you use the spare. If never or rarely, coat in tire glaze, check pressure, and don't bother replacing it.
I do the 4 tire method. My wife's 99 Camry still has the original, full-sized spare in its compartment in the trunk. I keep 40lbs in it and can't remember the last time I put air in it. No signs of any rot or cracks, as it's never been outside. I'm doing the same with my 2010 Rav.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I got a 2007 base 4cyl AWD. Went to Automotix.com and got a matching wheel and started a 5tire rotation with my new tires.

Keeps the wear even if i need the spare. And worst case, if i need a replacement tire, i can put the new tire on the back as a spare and do a 4 tire rotation until the next round of new tires.

your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
192 Posts
When new I do the 5 tire rotation and when worn buy 4 new tires and keep the best old tire as a spare and then do 4 tire rotations. When those are worn save the best of the old 4 as spare and buy 4 new ones.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD with 15300 miles

·
Registered
81 Posts
I did the 5 tire rotation with my 2007 RAV4 sport with Yokohama Geolander g91 (OEM) and STILL only got 30,000 miles out of them. I constantly had to remind mechanic it was 5 tire rotation - I know this didn't happen 100%, and they always seemed baffled that I wanted this. Second set just put the best old tire as spare and did 4 tire rotation. Now need new tires and will get to replace spare Geolander which is now 9 1/2 years old although on the outside it looks okay.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Although your old tire has never been used I would change it for three reasons.
1, Safety because even though it looks good can you be 100% sure it won't fail
if you have to use it?
2, It could well fail and put you in a much worse situation than before i.e on a freeway
rather than a rural road so passing traffic is more dangerous.
3, Peace of mind as you know all tires are new and have up to date specifications.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Is your spare covered. If not I would consider getting a new tire.

I did 5 tire rotation when new. Then only buy 4 tires after that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts