Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 I4 with 98,000 miles on it. It uses approx. 3/4 quart or so per 1000 miles. The extended engine warranty is good for 150,000 miles or 10 years. Since my car will be 10 years old next May it will soon be out of the extended warranty period.

My question is should I anticipate the oil usage to increase to the
point where something will need to be done, however most likely after it is out of the extended warranty period?

Would you sell an otherwise serviceable vehicle based on this oil usage or an
anticipated rapid increase in oil usage?

·
Registered
419 Posts
To help answer your question:

a) what is your 2006 I4 worth ?
a) what would it cost to rebuild the engine, in your 2006 I4 ?
a) what would it cost to buy, a good 2009 I4 or 2006-08 v6 ?

Personally, adding a quart of oil every 1,000 miles, would drive me crazy.
I would sell the 2006 I4 & upgrade a few years newer, to a v6 RAV4 model.

·
Super Moderator
11,321 Posts
I would say it depends on your financial situation. If times are tough then just keep feeding it oil and go on with it. If you can afford to get out from under it then do so.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Hmmmmm.......a 2006 with that "few" miles on it seems hardly broken in. That is a lot of oil loss, however. Are you burning it or leaking it? Is the area under the car spotted with leaking oil? Or the underneath of the engine dripping? Sometimes the oil loss is from a leaking valve cover gasket and there will be oil you will notice everywhere under the engine, and, at that rate of loss, on the driveway/garage floor. What does the "extended warranty" cover? Would it cover an overhaul? What is the compression on the cylinders? Are they really leaking that much oil? Has a mechanic looked at it? How attached are you to the car? Many questions......

·
Super Moderator
11,321 Posts
Roadjunkie.............

The 2.4l 4 cylinder engine in the 2006-2008 RAV4 is a known oil burner. They don't leak or drip they just suck it up. Toyota is rebuilding some of these engines at no charge. There is a huge amount of information here if one searches. The engine was changed from 2009 forward.

·
Super Moderator
10,783 Posts
One quart every 4-5 fillups might be a bother but certainly isn't an expense.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts