Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My wife and I have a 2001 RAV4 with 270,000 miles on it. The back window on it just shattered tonight, and the windshield is in bad need of replacing as well. We want to drive it into the ground, but we also don't want to start spending several hundred or thousands of dollars on it if it's going to truly die soon.

Also, 5th gear hasn't been working for about two years. It just pops out of 5th gear. We replaced the clutch a couple years ago too. It has the original transmission and engine.

Would you recommend spending roughly $500 for a new windshield and rear window and hope it keeps running to 300,000 miles? Or would you guess its days are already numbered?

Thanks for your advice!

-Tim

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hello,

My wife and I have a 2001 RAV4 with 270,000 miles on it. The back window on it just shattered tonight, and the windshield is in bad need of replacing as well. We want to drive it into the ground, but we also don't want to start spending several hundred or thousands of dollars on it if it's going to truly die soon.

Also, 5th gear hasn't been working for about two years. It just pops out of 5th gear. We replaced the clutch a couple years ago too. It has the original transmission and engine.

Would you recommend spending roughly $500 for a new windshield and rear window and hope it keeps running to 300,000 miles? Or would you guess its days are already numbered?

Thanks for your advice!

-Tim
Maybe. I have kept many cars for over 270,000 miles. But all of them had very high maintenance on them since the day they were purchased, meaning--I was very comfortable that they operate perfectly. The issue that I see is not the $500 that would put the car back in reliable condition, but how much is the 5th gear fix. If it is under $1000 I definitely would keep the car, $2000 probably not.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I would sell it plus you got a long life out of the vehicle already. No point putting more money in a money pit. With that much mileage maintenance will be much higher and who knows what lies ahead. I learned once you get a vehicle that is a money pit it will not stop. Since we don't know your maintenance history only you can decide.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
I would sell it ...
I agree but what could they get for it with the immediate need of a rear window and no fifth gear? Seems it would at least need the window to sell but an as-is CL listing would find out.
$500 does sound like a lot for the window & windshield tho. I'd think more like $100 each for a mobile glass shop. Shop around on that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We're not planning on fixing 5th gear. We don't take it very far out of town, and it does okay on the freeways in town in 4th. We're just trying to squeeze as much out of it without putting much money into it.

I shopped around and most places were quoting me $500 - $700 for both windshield and rear window replacement, but I found a well reviewed shop that'll do both for $340. So I think we're going to do that and hope we get at least another year or two out of the car.

Thanks again for the advice!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I shopped around and most places were quoting me $500 - $700 for both windshield and rear window replacement, but I found a well reviewed shop that'll do both for $340. So I think we're going to do that and hope we get at least another year or two out of the car.
Trade-in value is $1000 in "fair" condition (which would mean it has glass and 5th gear)

Make your choice from there. Personally? I'd take $500 in trade and update. You've had it for over 15 years and 1/4 million miles. You've literally driven it as far as the Moon.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Do you have comprehensive auto insurance? It's cheap compared to collision. If my back glass shatters, all I pay is a $50 deductible, and most glass shops waive that. I'll always keep comprehensive and road service no matter how old my RAV is.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Trade-in value is $1000 in "fair" condition (which would mean it has glass and 5th gear)

Make your choice from there. Personally? I'd take $500 in trade and update. You've had it for over 15 years and 1/4 million miles. You've literally driven it as far as the Moon.

I agree. Suggest upgrading to a vehicle about which you won't need to be concerned that something else will become a problem and reduce its value to the salvage category.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
We're not planning on fixing 5th gear. ...but I found a well reviewed shop that'll do both for $340.
Now that's getting within reason. And it seems this is kind of a "favorite" car with many handy uses. But it probably is time to start a new or newer car fund.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd keep the car. You've justified the no 5th, and I know people whose car payments are higher than $340 a month. I just junked my S10 that ran great until my manual transmission went out. Only because it was so rusty. If yours is rusty to the point of not being safe than I might change my mind.. I'm happy to hear you got 270,000 though..

·
Registered
272 Posts
As long as the window is doing the job of keeping water out, I'd keep it, or check out repairing, not replacing.
Obviously your options of selling it that way are limited, go Craigslist
with 255K on mine I ask myself the same question every time I have to replace a part, but I'll likely let it nickel and dime me until it is only able to limp down the road, a place by me gives $300 for any vehicle you can drive in, I wouldn't take the time to part it out even though it has a strong engine and tranny, and lots of good body/interior parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts