Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My RAV is a 2007 and I have always used Mobile 1 5w-30 synthetic. I have about 129,000 miles on her. I always see the high mileage oils on the shelves.

Is it wise or necessary to change oils or what I have been using for the past 9 years perfectly good? Thanks for any feeback.

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
Unless it's using a lot of oil I see no advantage in changing. Which engine?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Mobile 1 is a good quality oil. I see no reason to switch. At what interval do you change the oil?

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
I don't know that whether one uses synthetic or conventional oil makes much if any difference. Had my RAV in for service at the dealer last week and spoke with another owner who said he has 280,000 miles on his RAV V6. Said he has his RAV serviced at that dealer and service department has always put in regular 5w-30, and that his RAV still doesn't use any oil between changes.

A couple of years ago during another service another owner and I chatted - said he had 250,000 miles on his V6, used conventional oil and his didn't use any oil between changes, either;

Not intended to start a debate about synthetic vs. conventional oil, but only to suggest that - whatever works, keep on using it, in the case of the OP the oil which is already being used.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
129k?

No need.

Maybe at 250k.

I ran regular 5w20 in my Tacoma at 160k... didn't burn any.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
For one who goes back the the days of straight 30 and 40-weight oils all these "specialty" oils are is advertising gimmicks to keep you brand loyal - getting you to chose between the brand's "regular," "high mileage" or "SUV" or "whatever" oil rather than buying a competitor's oil.

Meantime I buy whatever "regular" 5W-20 is on sale when I need it and use it in all my cars. If one of the "special" oils is cheaper I'd buy that.

Mileages: RAV4=125K, Accord=115K, Odyssey=208K

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have the sport 3.5 V6. It's definitely not using a lot of oil.
Maybe you could clarify this some. Have you noticed a slight increase in oil usage?

If usage is steady and consuming same as always, use same oil. If you now notice a bit more oil usage, I don't see the downside to trying the Mobil 1 synthetic High Mileage formula. Hype or not, it's the same price at Walmart anyway.

·
Registered
91 Posts
any major brand oil with the correct viscosity and API rating is all you need.

That should have the additives and detergents you need...
The only vehicles I am fussy about the oils are my rice rockets as they have wet clutches that can be contaminated by additives found in car/truck oils, so the JASO MA rating is important to prevent the clutch from slipping.

Personally I like Valvoline products, I have been using them for 40 years in just about every type of car, truck, bike, boat and plane without issue.

I know NAPA oil is made by Valvoline, so when the full synthetic goes on sale for $3.49 a quart I but it in 10 case lots.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe you could clarify this some. Have you noticed a slight increase in oil usage?

If usage is steady and consuming same as always, use same oil. If you now notice a bit more oil usage, I don't see the downside to trying the Mobil 1 synthetic High Mileage formula. Hype or not, it's the same price at Walmart anyway.
No, I have not noticed any oil being consumed. I am fine with staying with what I been using, just didnt know if using the high mileage oil would "technically" be better for the engine.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
No, I have not noticed any oil being consumed. I am fine with staying with what I been using, just didnt know if using the high mileage oil would "technically" be better for the engine.
Copy that. I'd stay the course then, doubt there is any benefit if no problems.

FWIW, for those with minor oil leakage or usage, legions of folks over on the 'Bob is the oil guy' website seem to like Valvoline Synblend Max Life High Mileage as a cost effective approach. But that is mainly to seal up an existing problem, and as near as I can tell takes a few cycles to work. I plan to try it in my old '89 Silverado as it smokes a bit on start and uses 1/2 quart in 5k miles.

For my RAV 4-banger, I'm just about to switch over to Mobil 1 synthetic after running dino for 85k. Extended warranty just ended, which required 6-month changes. I plan to stretch the oil change interval a bit with the synthetic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts