Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we bought a 2007 RAV 4 cyl Sport 4WD 90,000 miles from a reputable dealer for our daughter yesterday. The car interior is in excellent condition, a few exterior bumps, but it drives great. It is not among the VIN numbers that were listed on the TSB for excessive oil consumption. It was one owner, clean Carfax, and serviced regularly. All recall issues were completed according to Toyota and Carfax. I am still feeling uneasy after reading about various issues with the 2007 models. We have been offered an extended warranty for $2700 but really don't want to chomp off more $$. Would love some advice since we have 5 days to return the vehicle. Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
It had many issues but that was 10 years ago. Being a one owner car certainly all problems were taken care of. I was not aware of particular VIN's required for the excessive oil consumption repair. If it has the 2.4l, which it does, then it will most likely consume oil. You would know in 1000 miles.

If you keep it you MUST teach her how to check the oil and have some on hand for top ups without overfilling. Checking the oil each fill up should be automatic like clicking the seatbelt. If it does use oil and is neglected....well, you know the outcome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It had many issues but that was 10 years ago. Being a one owner car certainly all problems were taken care of. I was not aware of particular VIN's required for the excessive oil consumption repair. If it has the 2.4l, which it does, then it will most likely consume oil. You would know in 1000 miles.

If you keep it you MUST teach her how to check the oil and have some on hand for top ups without overfilling. Checking the oil each fill up should be automatic like clicking the seatbelt. If it does use oil and is neglected....well, you know the outcome.
So i realized that our the TSB does apply to our VIN. Yes, we are weighing the options. There are never any guarantees with a 10 year old car. Just un-nerving to realize there is a known issue that we may face in the near future. Thank you for the words of advice

·
Registered
254 Posts
Any chance the dealership would cover the cost of the excessive oil consumption repair, and warranty the work? Worth asking?

My 2007 Limited's previous owner had the repair done before I got it last summer. It's right as rain now. Had 113k miles then; I have put 12k trouble-free miles on it since.

Only you can decide what you are comfortable doing, I say ... trust your gut and try your best to keep emotions out of the decision, no easy task if your daughter has already grown attached to it.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
...Would love some advice since we have 5 days to return the vehicle...
a) Test eligibility: Check your date when vehicle was first put in service. You have 10 years to get the oil test done since you are under 150k miles--maybe you are still under. But you have to start the test and drive 1200 miles to satisfy the test before your 10 years is up. If not, you can establish your oil burn rate yourself by a road trip:

b) Road trip: Check oil level on dipstick--top it up to the full line. Drive car for 10 hours or around 500 miles. Check oil level again. If it is down half-way on the dipstick, or really any noticable drop, you have an oil burner. Return car to dealer. (And buy/trade for a 2009 RAV or newer has the 2.5L engine, non-oil burner.)

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Toyota issued a TSB (Technical Services Bulletin) for the 2.4L engine because of excessive oil consumption. Owners were advised to take their RAVs to Toyota dealers for engine rebuilding. You should be able to find out whether that has been done with your vehicle by going to www.toyotaowners.com and registering, entering the RAV's VIN and going to the designated page. If that engine rebuild has been done you should have no worries.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a) Test eligibility: Check your date when vehicle was first put in service. You have 10 years to get the oil test done since you are under 150k miles--maybe you are still under. But you have to start the test and drive 1200 miles to satisfy the test before your 10 years is up. If not, you can establish your oil burn rate yourself by a road trip:

b) Road trip: Check oil level on dipstick--top it up to the full line. Drive car for 10 hours or around 500 miles. Check oil level again. If it is down half-way on the dipstick, or really any noticable drop, you have an oil burner. Return car to dealer. (And buy/trade for a 2009 RAV or newer has the 2.5L engine, non-oil burner.)
Yes, that is sound advice. The first date of use was July 2007. In light of having 3 more days to return the car, we will be taking an impromptu road trip tomorrow. Hoping for good news! Thanks everyone for the words of wisdom
:nerd

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yes, that is sound advice. The first date of use was July 2007. In light of having 3 more days to return the car, we will be taking an impromptu road trip tomorrow. Hoping for good news! Thanks everyone for the words of wisdom
:nerd
It would be a great opportunity for a shake-down cruise to get to know the car, as well as evaluating potential oil burn problem. Keep in mind, not all of the 07 have the issue, and if not showing up now, you should be good to go. Many owners are happy with that year and model, overall it still has fairly decent marks for reliability--Toyota would never tell us the percent having the oil problem, of course.

BTW, the standard for checking oil is to wait at least 5 minutes after driving to check the dipstick mark. Consistency of checking will be important. Good Luck! and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jut got home from a long road trip. Since we purchased the RAV Saturday, we have managed to put about 440 miles on it. I am happy to report that i checked the oil about every 100 miles and it was FULL every time! Yeah! We will keep the RAV and frequently check the oil to be sure no issues. The RAV really has some get up and go for a 10 yr old SUV. The only issue i noticed was a bit of a rough idle at times. Hoping this car will see our daughter through college & beyond. Thank you to everyone for the advice. It is greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
440 miles is not enough to check oil usage so I will repeat what I said above:

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I agree with RTexasF and also repeat what I suggested in my Post #6 about checking with the Toyota owners web site about whether the work outlined in the TSB about oil consumption has been done on the vehicle. If so, there should be no worries since Toyota engines in proper condition basically use no oil between changes. But even if the work has been done, RTexasF's advice about checking the oil level frequently should be taken seriously.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Jut got home from a long road trip. Since we purchased the RAV Saturday, we have managed to put about 440 miles on it. I am happy to report that i checked the oil about every 100 miles and it was FULL every time! Yeah! We will keep the RAV and frequently check the oil to be sure no issues. The RAV really has some get up and go for a 10 yr old SUV. The only issue i noticed was a bit of a rough idle at times. Hoping this car will see our daughter through college & beyond. Thank you to everyone for the advice. It is greatly appreciated!
Well done! As the two others said, it is important to check the oil, but I feel a long drive like that gives a solid indication you don't have the oil burning problem. If you drove that far and had no drop in oil level at all, that is nearly half what the dealer test would involve, so that's a great indicator. Not every RAV will have the problem--if you did, it would have been down an inch or two or more on the dispstick.

I think you mentioned you have already checked with Toyota and they had nothing on this. As Blogson said, there is the Toyota.com/owners website--is that what you have checked for service history?

One other thing to consider--since your first service date 10-year deadline is sometime in July, you could go to any Toyota dealer and start the test. It's free, but would need to be done without the ability to check the oil during the 1200 mile test because they would seal it up. Just depends on how much peace of mind you want to get over this.

Don't know about the idling problem, possibly due for spark plugs Also easy to service the PCV valve on that engine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
FWIW: 'rough idle' could be a engine valve ($$) or something simple like a dirty MAF sensor (assuming the i4 is MAF-based), or other tune-up/maintenance item. I'd do some more research on here / online about that possible issue.

RE: the warranty - W/a 5-day return I'm guessing this is a CarMax or similar dealer? The warranty may be 'negotiable' especially if you tell them you're considering returning it. On the other hand, stick the $2700 in Savings for possible future repairs and if you don't ever need it go to Tahiti! :)

...the RAV really has some get up and go for a 10 yr old SUV.
You should drive the V6 RAV4....just don't buy a V6 model b4 2010-ish. :-(

GL,
Td

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey there. Call your insurance agent and have him pull a CLUE report. It is the best way to find out if the car has been in any accidents. I bought a 2012 RAV4 that had a clean CARFAX report but had been in 5 accidents totalling over $14,000 in repairs. If accidents, take it back!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts