Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow,just found this site! Am wondering if anyone has experienced a shudder from rear when taking off in first gear? It does it worse in the morning on first take off. Then seems to go away.Not sure how AWD distributes power to wheels.As there is no tranfercase,is it a toque converter of some sort. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
986 Posts
This has been mentioned a number of times in the past by R4W members on the old forum. It seems to be fairly common in the 4WD Ravs because of the drivetrain setup. I think it is caused by a small amount of slack in the drivetrain going to the back wheels.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply,is there a way to access the past forums?

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That explains the new site,will have to do some digging.Great site thanks!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I've been able to get some entire topics with posts from Google's cache. Not sure how long that'll work for, though.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'm not that good at this computer stuff to get any archives to come up,so hopefully someone will see this and have some idea's

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
noairkerr,
A few things come to mind.

IIRC, one poster on the old board had mentioned the rubber bushing between the rear diff and the frame was pretty cracked. That certainly caused some play in the rear.

Now, if your RAV is like ours, there was a fair amount of play in the throttle cable. It took a bit of noodling to get it right, basically undo the lock nut by the throttle body and pull the cable a *little* tighter. Too tight and you'll know it...she'll idle at 4k rpms... :eek:

Bogatyr

·
Registered
542 Posts
mine has done that since new if i try to start moving with higher rpm & it's real hot... i always try to start with as few revs as possible!! feels like clutch grab & a lot of slack in the drive train. sometimes it's better to start off in 2nd gear..

would be nice if it didn't do it though..

·
Registered
302 Posts
My 98 did the shudder thing as well .
It was only the first couple of get aways that shuddered .
It never happened once the vehicle was reached proper operating
tempeture .
As long as it doen't on every start , I'm not concerned .

·
Registered
986 Posts
My clutch chatters every morning for the first few stops and starts until it gets warmed up; always did, probably always will. It's a result of the clutch wear and cold temperatures, but occurs on every standard transmission car that I have driven at one time or another.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Check how high your clutch sits. You might have a worn clutch. If your clutch is pretty good, it might be your pressure plate.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My '97 does this too. Has anyone tried replacing their rear shocks to try and fix this?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jeff said:
This has been mentioned a number of times in the past by R4W members on the old forum. It seems to be fairly common in the 4WD Ravs because of the drivetrain setup. I think it is caused by a small amount of slack in the drivetrain going to the back wheels.
Ive had this for as long as I can remember - when its cold. First thing in the morning for the first few blocks - especially out of 1st and 2nd. I was told by the place where I got my clutch done that it was probably slack in the drivetrain as well. Im not too concerned as its happened for as long as I can remember - even since the new clutch. And I also find if I give the RAV a few minutes to warm up I almost never encounter the shudder.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
YAY! Others have this problem, too! :D

This is my first RAV, love it, but only have had it about 5 months. I'm the second owner. Mine stutters when it's cold and only on the first shift. Then it's fine.

I asked my mechanic and he just looked at me like he'd never heard of that before. Since I've driven manuals most of my life, I figured it had to do with the clutch. Sounds like a manufacturers glitch.

Thanks for all the info .

·
Registered
355 Posts
I wonder if the way AROUND this problem is to warm the engine up for a minute or so and press the clutch a few times !!??

IS that likely to overcome the problems ??

·
Registered
49 Posts
In my 96 I'm finding that as long as I'm really smooth with my clutch action, it's not as bad. But then again it's like I'm new to the clutch after not driving a manual for the last 5 years!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts