Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I'm looking for some help in diagnosing my issue. First off, It's a 2007 2.4l 4wd base Rav4 with ~150k miles.

Basically when coming to a stop (usually right before you actually stop) or simply while idling while in gear (stopped) the vehicle will start to shudder/shake like it wants to stall. First thought obviously is the throttle body or MAF sensor, so I cleaned them both and nothing changed. I then took the vehicle to my Totota dealer, where they assured me it was definitely the throttle body, so I let them do their thing (Electronic fuel system cleaning is what they called it, basically they clean the TB and a few other things) and while it seems to have gotten a bit better since then, it still shudders/shakes upon occasion (although not as badly as before).

Any ideas? Do I just need to bite the bullet and replace the TB or could it be something else? The fact that it's changed since the cleaning makes me think it's the culprit.

I've also asked my usual mechanic and the dealer to take a look at the engine/trans mounts and was told by both they all looked good.

Unrelated: how long do serpentine belts last in these vehicles? I've had the vehicle since 80k and I've never replaced it. Still looks good though and no noise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Spark plugs may also be a contributor, if you haven't changed those either. The fuel filter can cause some engine hesitation/stalling, but I don't know if what you are describing would indicate that; but again, maybe still worth looking at if not done already in the life of the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I changed the spark plugs at 100k with Iridium plugs. I suppose they could be due for replacement again, I'll check them out.

As far as the fuel filter, it's never been changed because I'm not exactly keen on dropping the tank to replace it, and Toyota claims it to be a lifetime filter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts