Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the proper orientation of the side mirror controls in a 2007? To me, they seem upside down and flip-flopped. A picture from the drivers view would be great if anyone has an image handy.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
No, the orientation is correct. They are designed for you to adjust the mirrors with your right hand while driving. The 4.4 models have the control mounted on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. With that setup, you have to lean forward, adjust, lean back, check the mirrors, lean forward, adjust, etc. Unless you have really long arms.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The orientation of the word "Mirror" is such that it would right side up if I was straddling the center console looking towards the back. The down arrow makes the mirror rise. Seems backwards to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
Up is up, down is down, left is left, right is right. If your mirrors do not work that way then someone hooked them up backwards. I would be suspicious of a past wreck/repair.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The switch should look similar to this image. The bottom of the word "Mirror" will be pointing towards the ceiling because that is direction you will be viewing it from.

The selector switch for L & R should be positioned so that the R is closest to the passenger door, and the L is closest to the drivers door.

Pushing the arrow which points towards the passenger door will move the mirror to the right. Pushing the arrow which points towards the drivers door will move the mirror to the left. Pushing the arrow that points to the ceiling will move the mirror up, and pushing the arrow that points down will move the mirror down.

It sounds like yours is in upside down. Simply pop out the switch, rotate it 180 degrees and push it back in.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
The switch in mine is upside down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's very easy to fix. I could do it without any tools. Cram you hand into the little cubby behind the mirror control. Try to expand your fingers as much as possible, then yank your hand up towards the windshield. The cubby should pull right out. This give you easy access to the mirror control which you should be able to pop out, rotate, and pop back in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not that easy actually. Easy to pop out, the the housing of the switch and the hole is goes into has an angled edge that only allows the switch to insert one way: backasswards. Apparently I get to learn a new skill: upside down and backwards thinking.

Watched the video again. Mine is different that the models shown. The AUX plug is inside the armrest assembly, not next to the mirror controls. All that's forward of the armrest is the mirror control and little cubby hole that is further forward.

Mine is a 2007 Sport, LSD, leather interior, 2WD, 4 cyl.

Thank you all for trying.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
Not that easy actually. Easy to pop out, the the housing of the switch and the hole is goes into has an angled edge that only allows the switch to insert one way: backasswards.

Apparently I get to learn a new skill: upside down and backwards thinking.

Thank you all for trying.
That's what files are made for. Can you file down the angled edge?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sure, I can file. I'm just stumped why it clearly is intended to be facing the way it is, which is just plain dumb.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
Sure, I can file. I'm just stumped why it clearly is intended to be facing the way it is, which is just plain dumb.
My guess is somebody removed the switch assembly, and took it apart to add lights maybe? Then they reassembled it backwards.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Not that easy actually. Easy to pop out, the the housing of the switch and the hole is goes into has an angled edge that only allows the switch to insert one way: .
I don't have a RAV4 handy or I would have a look at it personally, so I have to ask, does your switch look like the one in this video?.

The only "angled edge" that I can think of is a "V" shaped springy piece of plastic that slides into the hole easily (because it is "V" shaped) and once fully inserted it snaps open to hold the switch in place.

Can you post a picture of your switch and mounting hole? It's just hard to believe that your RAV is different than every other one ever built. (no offense intended:smile)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorted it out. The switch can only go in one way. But the entire assembly (switch AND cubby hole) come out and rotate. The switch is now below the cubby, and the buttons are no longer backwards to the mirrors they control.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Wonder if prior owner tapped a wire in there or passed through wires for a rear entertainment system or something but removed that and just slapped it in backwards before trade in.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
Sorted it out. The switch can only go in one way. But the entire assembly (switch AND cubby hole) come out and rotate. The switch is now below the cubby, and the buttons are no longer backwards to the mirrors they control.
OK, I get it. I actually changed that panel on my 2008 to the 2009 part. This gives me a larger cubby hole that can hold a smart phone and an additional switch hole next to the mirror control for a USB port or my BluLogic button.

·
Registered
158 Posts
OK, I get it. I actually changed that panel on my 2008 to the 2009 part. This gives me a larger cubby hole that can hold a smart phone and an additional switch hole next to the mirror control for a USB port or my BluLogic button.
That cubby hole in the 08's is useless, except for change... I'll have to find an 09 and up console for a bigger cubby. Thanks for the tip :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts