Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a chance to install the side moldings that I got from a Canadian dealer last month...I think they were about $80US + $15 shipping to the US. Turned out pretty well I think...

P

·
0 Posts
looks nice. what dealer did you order from? any problems or heads-up with application?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all! I ordered from Upper James Toyota in Ontario. If you google them you should get their contact info. I worked with a really nice guy in their parts dept (for the life of me I can't remember his name...might have been Craig).

Anyhow, installation wasn't too bad, although the moldings don't come with any instructions. Basically, I cleaned the area with rubbing alcohol first, then marked the area with painters masking tape. That was the trickiest part. First, I measured from the ground up, and marked a spot with a small bit of tape every 16 inches or so. Once I had a line of small bits of tape, I stretched out a long line of tape from one end to the next using the small bits as guides. I then applied the molding directly over the top of the tape line. That worked out fine, the only thing I found out after I installed the first piece of molding is that the body lines don't line up parallel with the ground...d'oh! Luckily, I was able to pull off that first piece of molding.

After that, I got a small piece of string and measured up from the top of the contour on the bottom of the door. Every 16 inches or so I measured up from that contour ridge using the string and did the same deal with the tape. THAT turned out much better!

Funny side note...after I got my lines of blue painters tape on the neighbors stopped by. They thought I had painted a blue line on the side of the car and they thought it looked pretty cool...LOL! They seemed a bit disappointed that I was just installing boring side moldings.

P

·
0 Posts
Thanks, bbates (and Quick for the link). So, the moldings are parallel to the bottom of the door, correct? Not to the ground.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Your Rav4 looks very nice with the moulding. Do they take credit card? The dealer that I contacted in Vancouver would not take plastic at the last minute.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ppuder said:
Thanks, bbates (and Quick for the link). So, the moldings are parallel to the bottom of the door, correct? Not to the ground.
Yes, I believe you are correct. Definitely not parallel to the ground. I measured up from the top of the contour in the door not from the bottom of the door but I suspect those lines are parallel.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kendfw said:
Your RAV4 looks very nice with the moulding. Do they take credit card? The dealer that I contacted in Vancouver would not take plastic at the last minute.
Yes, they do take credit card. The only issue I ran into was shipping - at the time they wouldn't handle the shipping charges on their own so I had to give them my company's UPS account number (which ended up costing my company, then me, $15 for 3 day shipping). I was lucky to have a UPS account number to give them. Hopefully now they can just arrange for shipping themselves and pass the shipping costs along to you.

·
Registered
379 Posts
His name was Craig, I called the same place. He was a little apprehensive about shipping charges to the US of A. Couldn't give a price for shipping charges. HOWEVER, he did give a name and phone number to a guy in CA who he ships parts all the time to. I didn't call the guy yet too busy doing everybody and their brothers taxes. Point of contact in CA is Erick 1-707-486-0186 :cheers:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jabba2000 said:
Looks good. What's the distance from the bottom of the door up to the bottom of the moulding?
Approx 14"...but it varies...it's under 14" at the front of the car and over 14" at the end - looks like it varies by about 1" from one end to the other. When I did it though I didn't measure from the bottom of the door, I measured from the top of the contour in the bottom of the door. In other words, my molding is parallel to the top of the contour, not the bottom of the door.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If I could ask a stupid question... Do they include the installation instructions along with the moulding shipment? Thanks.

·
Registered
271 Posts
inlets said:
His name was Craig, I called the same place. He was a little apprehensive about shipping charges to the US of A. Couldn't give a price for shipping charges. HOWEVER, he did give a name and phone number to a guy in CA who he ships parts all the time to. I didn't call the guy yet too busy doing everybody and their brothers taxes. Point of contact in CA is Erick 1-707-486-0186 :cheers:
If we purchase moulding from Erik, we would have to pay more since he's a middleman in this case. I would rather purchase directly from Craig and give me my UPS account number.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
kendfw said:
If I could ask a stupid question... Do they include the installation instructions along with the moulding shipment? Thanks.
Nope, you're kind of on your own.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
kendfw said:
If we purchase moulding from Erik, we would have to pay more since he's a middleman in this case. I would rather purchase directly from Craig and give me my UPS account number.
Yeah, I don't know why shipping is such a sticky wicket for them. If you give them your UPS acct # it should work fine...that's what I did.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Does anyone have the the Canadian P/N? I want a pair of these and was thinking of hitting up my local dealer to see if I could get it through them?

·
Premium Member
8,018 Posts
The part number for my classic silver mouldings is C0050-42061-F7, but each color will have a different part number. Mine were $83 and $15 for shipping, got em from Ben Cholette of Peace Arch Toyota. I opened a free UPS occasional account just to order this part, unless I can get the fog light kit from him, I probably won't ever use it again.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts