Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my molding on a car for a month or so. Today I went over to the passenger side and discovered a deep cut in it.
I have no idea when it happened or how it happened but must have been today in the shopping center parking lot.

It is ugly and I pretty much had to count down from nine to steam off.
I'll have to replace it, another $80 buks but I'll try to negotiaite to get just one piece.

Anyway. Since I have never before needed to remove a molding, do you guys have an advice how to do it without ripping off the paint?

Thanks a million.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well for debaging a car I usually use wax dental floss and some Goof-Off to remove the adhesive. You use the floss gently behind the molding to basically sever it from the adhesive. Goof off always removes the glue from emblems in the past and I would assume that the molding adhesive is about the same. You should test it on a small area of the car just to be sure it doesn't cause you any grief with the paint but I've not had any problems with it. I did this recently to remove the dealer badges off my wife's 06 Outlander and it was super easy to do.

Then of course you'd need to mount the new molding on again which takes a steady hand. Or like Flyingn said, you could just have a body shop take the old off and put the new one on for ya.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Makes me wonder what the door would have looked like without the molding to protect it. Looks like the molding did its job and "took a bullet" for the door :shrug:

Wouldn't hurt calling a body shop for recommendation/cost for removing the damaged one.

The Toyota of Canada molding has two strips of adhesive on it (is not full width of the molding) so it may be fairly easy to remove.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx all. Eventually I ended up stripping all the doors from the molding, because I am not in for business for another $130.
I ended up paying $50 for non-toyo spec ones, but I've got a lifetime replacement policy, should I need it.

Well, it doesn't look like the factory ones, but it will do the job.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so what do they look like? any pics? source?
thanks.

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
I dont get it, the moulding did it's job, protecting your door.
Replacing/repairing the door would be more expensive.
Lets face it, even new cars will get its share of dings and chipped paint eventually. The moulding will cut the numbers considerably.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have moldings installed. I'll take some pictures later.
:)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, 3M sells an adhesive remover, it is like $7, worked well for me.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
JetBlack said:
Two questions.... Where can I purchase the side moldings and do they come painted?
They are a Canadian Toyota part and are painted to match the RAV colors.

Thanks to Quickdtoo, the classic silver P/N is C0050-42061-F7

The other ones are (I don't know which color they go to- am guessing here but it looks like the last three digits are from the color code on your door plate, ie classic silver on my door plate is 1F7)

C0050-42060-40
C0050-42060-70
C0050-42062-02
C0050-42063-R3
C0050-42064-R4
C0050-42066-T6
C0050-42068-R3
C0050-42068-S6
C0050-42060-40

Here is one of the original links that started it all.. :mrgreen:

Side moulding discussion

Looks like you are in New York. You might PM OCInsomniac as he is in your same area and ordered a couple for his and others in the area..

OC you have your ears on??

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any Canadian dealer will negotiate. I got mine for $100 with shipping

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
SUVbuff73 said:
Any Canadian dealer will negotiate. I got mine for $100 with shipping
Also some US dealers have relationships with Canadian dealers.

I was able to order and pick up mine from my local dealer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts