Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Nice... please post when you receive them and let us know your thoughts. I'd also like to know how difficult they are to install. Thanks and good luck.

S

·
0 Posts
I am also interested in these as well. I would like to see pics and info on how hard they were to install as well as how durable they are.

Thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
I also ordered these stepbars and mudflaps from toyotaparts4u.com

I wished there were better close-ups of it on their website. I liked the way the ends of the step bar curved under the truck (atleast that's what it looked like)as opposed to the straight ends with the rubber caps on them.

The straight ends look like someone took a generic step-bar and cut it to size and just pushed some end-caps on them. I'm not knocking anyone who bought these as they look pretty cool from what I can tell. I just wanted official Toyota steps that were designed specically for the 06' Rav4. It could very well be that the aftermarket ones are of better quality. We shall soon find out.

S

·
0 Posts
Please post pics and tell us about these after you recieve and install. Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My UPS notification indicates my shipment will arrive on the 18th. I'll take photos after I install them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Oh baby my step bars are at the house waiting for me. Man is this going to be the longest day at work.

Now if I can just find a canadian dealer that speaks new york english I would order the hood reflector.....

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Sweet! Photos, photos, photos! What color RAV do you have? I'm curious how the stainless bars would look on a dark colored RAV... I think black powdercoat would probably look better...

P

·
0 Posts
wanna see, wanna see :D little further on down I posted some info on the hood protector. They are available, are full size and from autoventshade but you'll have to order them thru your local parts store (PEP BOYS, NAPA, ETC)......

·
Registered
63 Posts
The steps look like the shizzle. I haven't put them on yet because it's raining in NYC (ain't that a bitch). I got the mud flaps too. They do infact curve into the body at the ends which is what I wanted. However, I had thought that the ends would have some form of cap on them. Instead it's sort of machined cut off (but polished) at an angle. Since the end is under the truck it doesn't seem like it would matter, though I wonder what kind of mud and dirt trap it might become.

This is my first experience with any form of step bar so it might be that that's how that style comes. The straight ones I have seen all had rubber caps on the ends so I just thought thats how they all come.

All said and done the bars look bad asss and I haven't seen an aftermarket one even look close. This isnt your Uncle Otto's step bar. It was made to fit the 06 RAV4 and it shows.

I will have them mounted in the morning and snap some photo's once it's all on there. If anyone wants I can go take a picture of the hardware in the box.

Oh, on the mud flaps. I have the limited v6 4X4 without the flares. The flaps are molded to fit right on the rav4, no generic hinged flaps here. Othere than the perfect fit the quality seems subpar to the ones I have been looking at. There does not seem to be any flexability in the flaps and they felt more hard-plasticky then they did solid rubber. Then again, I was just holding a chrome stepbar anything after that is bound to look subpar....

S

·
0 Posts
I would like to see a picture of the ends to see what you are talking about.

S

·
0 Posts
Looks nice. I too want to see them installed.

I wonder if the tubes will produce drag or noise with the ends open like that?

Thanks for the pics. Hope noone wants to view them with dialup. :shock:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Here are some pics from the Aussie Toyota website that show the side steps installed.
I wonder if they're the same ones you guys get up there.

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Looks pretty darn close to me, except the Aussie ones look like the ends bend downwards, while the US ends just bend inwards...

Not completely sure of that bull bar/skid plate and I definitely don't like the headlamp covers or window vent visors.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The nudge bar with bash plate looks great. Toyota Oz has offered it religiously on every RAV4 model ever sold here. The bash plate is more for looks rather than protection but who cares!

·
Registered
63 Posts
The steps look wicked cool and a cop pulled me over just so he could check my ride out. My RAV is getting alot of attention and people are raving about the blizzard pearl color.

Anyway, putting them on was a little strange. You know how you hate putting something together and then you find a bunch of screws that weren't used. Well think how I felt when we were all done putting them on as per the instructions(with diagram) I look over and I see 4 heavy duty black iron L-shaped brackets. No where in the 3 page documentation did they even come up. My friend and I were completely baffled. We tried experiments with them but nothing seems to indicate they were even needed. Gonna speak to toyotaparts4u.com on Monday about that. There were no instructions sent with the step bar. However, they emailed you a link to a printable instruction sheet.

Also, it seems to me that the rubber steps should be back a little more. As it is now they seem too far forward to seem useful. I was also less than confident about the sturdiness of the attachment brackets. Im a pretty big guy (I say about 240lbs) and I felt some play when I climbed up on the rear step. I was concerned that if I jumped or placed too much weight on them, I could bend the bracket or bend the piece on the body where they were attached.

All in all at 6 foot and 240lbs I would never me stepping on the bar. But what if I had one of those cargo carriers on the roof and I needed to step up there to get at something. I was standing on it this morning and my consensus is the slight give when stepping up is perfectly normal. I will feel better when I find out what those brackets are for.

The bars look great and they look different from the on a few posts higher. These steps curve inward and downward and look uber.

High Res Photos. Will take some interior shots later.

http://www.garyland.bizland.com/rav4/myride1.JPG
http://www.garyland.bizland.com/rav4/myride2.JPG
http://www.garyland.bizland.com/rav4/myride3.JPG
http://www.garyland.bizland.com/rav4/myride4.JPG
http://www.garyland.bizland.com/rav4/myride5.JPG
http://www.garyland.bizland.com/rav4/myride6.JPG
http://www.garyland.bizland.com/rav4/myride7.JPG

·
Registered
122 Posts
Grav said:
Also, it seems to me that the rubber steps should be back a little more. As it is now they seem too far forward to seem useful.
after looking at the pictures... i'm wondering if can you switch both sides around? like right step to the left, and left step to the right.. that will make your rubber steps back a little..

1 - 20 of 59 Posts