Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the specs of the glass toyota used for the side windows of the new RAVs? Considering potentially tinting if no protection

Came across this article that toyota started to include UV filtering films in the front windows in 2010. Not sure how accurate it is. See below

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm not familiar if newer model Rav4's come with laminated front roll downs or not, but it typically only comes in higher end cars. You can check by rolling down your window, and running your fingernail over the top of the window. Non-laminated front windows will be smooth and beveled. Laminated, you will physically feel 2 separate pieces of glass. I'd say that more than likely what you will have is just regular old tempered glass. If I were you, I would just have the 2 front windows tinted. Most films will come with 99% UV protection. Just check with your local state laws regarding how dark you can go.

·
Registered
250 Posts
For my RAV4h (and my last 4 cars), I have had Llumar IRX 40 window tint put on the front side windows, sun roof, and clear (AIR-80) on the windshield. I am very susceptible to skin cancer, and need to have the UV A&B protection. A nice side-effect is it keeps the car a lot cooler in the summer time (and it looks good).

·
Registered
135 Posts
The windshield does have UV protection, but not on the sides. I have a pair of glasses that I'll wear on occasion and they auto tint. The way it works is based off of the UV rays. So the strange thing is they won't auto tint looking forward but looking out the side windows they will.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked at the etching from my front side windows today and found the designation "UVs." The back and hatch windows did not have the same designation. Not sure what they mean exactly

·
Registered
432 Posts
A good ceramic tint, even if you don't go dark, will do wonders for keeping the rays off you and keeping your car cool. That, coupled with window vents that allowed me to keep the windows cracked, and I could walk out of work at 3pm in the Florida sun and step into a vehicle that was 100-105 degrees, rather than 130+.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Considered tinting but my area doesn't get hot enough for long enough of time to justify tinting. Especially considering they fade over time and accumulate scratches from rolling windows up and down

·
Registered
20 Posts
Considered tinting but my area doesn't get hot enough for long enough of time to justify tinting. Especially considering they fade over time and accumulate scratches from rolling windows up and down
Film will last a long time as long as it's taken care of. Any quality film these days will cover fading and change of color for the lifetime of the film in the warranty. Also, films come with a scratch resistant layer that under normal conditions won't scratch. Now, if you get a small pebble or drive down a lot of dirt roads can definitely have an affect on how long it will last you.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I used to tint years ago in Florida. We used Lumar products.
Does film still fade when the user uses ammonia glass cleaner? Also, how easy is it to egress out of a passenger window in an emergency with the newer films with non laminated passenger windows? Do you need to carry a razor in addition to a glass breaker?

Film will last a long time as long as it's taken care of. Any quality film these days will cover fading and change of color for the lifetime of the film in the warranty. Also, films come with a scratch resistant layer that under normal conditions won't scratch. Now, if you get a small pebble or drive down a lot of dirt roads can definitely have an affect on how long it will last you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I used to tint years ago in Florida. We used Lumar products.
Does film still fade when the user uses ammonia glass cleaner? Also, how easy is it to egress out of a passenger window in an emergency with the newer films with non laminated passenger windows? Do you need to carry a razor in addition to a glass breaker?
The ammonia doesn't cause the film to fade, but it does break down the plastics used in the films. Over a period of years, the films will become hazy, which is why I always used to tell my customers to use just soap and water, or any other non-ammonia based cleaner. As per your 2nd question, no, you don't need a razor to cut thru the film. While the film will typically hold tempered glass together if it shatters, you can still just push the glass out of its frame.

·
Premium Member
7,684 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts