Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright.. So check out www.Silblade.com

Heard that they were great blades.. They have a 5 year warranty which the company stresses is UNCONDITIONAL..

I just find the price hard to swallow for wiper blades..

They will run you about $60 per pair.. OUCH!!...

Anyone tried these?...

I guess if they truely last 5 years then $60 isn't so bad.. Since I normally replace them atleast once a year and wiper blades aren't the cheapest..

Thoughts? Opinions?..

B

·
0 Posts
I typically replace my blades every spring. I live in the NE and its not because they are worn. Usually they have a tiny cut in them from road grit or have been turned on when the window is iced.

If the silicones get little nicks in them like the rubber...then I wouldn't bother. Its those tiny nicks in the blade that drive me nuts...cuz then the streaks appear on the windshield/

·
Registered
240 Posts
OEM Toyota blades are supposed to be best around. I remember Consumer Reports article comparing various wiper blades and they remarked that the OEM Toyota from their test car was the best.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Save your money, dont bother with the silicon blades. I had a set of PIAA silicon blades, they were a bit better than OEM, but not worth 3 times the cost.

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
My experience with silicone blades is that they've always gotten streaky and tend to chatter and plane over the water more often than not -- almost like it needs more pressure on the blade to function properly. This becomes even more of a problem at highway speeds. I've tried the Anco and Rain-X branded silicone blades, but not PIAA or SilBlade.

The wiper blade that I'd highly recommend -- if you want to spend the $money$ that is -- would be the Valeo Ultimate Wiper Blade. They used to cost $40 apiece (+ $8 shipping) but you could get $10 knocked off of each with the volvoxcdeal coupon code. I don't think the code works anymore though, because their price is $29.95 all the time now. You're still talking nearly $60 for a pair of blades, so it's definitely not for the faint of wallet. :shock:

I used these on my '01 and it was beautiful -- no ugly multi-part, hinged assemblies, just one long contact swipe produced by a low profile memory metal frame. One caveat I will say, though, is that the blade sometimes left behind a thin layer of rubber residue at the top and bottom of the sweep and that would cause it to chatter across the windshield and keep accumulating more residue. As soon as it happens, be sure to clean it off the glass, or you could ruin the contact surface of the blade.

Another thing I was worried about was somebody noticing the nice expensive blades I had installed and decide that they would steal them. As a result, my paranoid side left the old OEM blades in the cargo area "just in case". :?

I'm still debating whether to replace the new RAV's wipers with the Ultimates, but I'll probably end up just waiting until this first set wears out. We'll see.

One thing I will also say, is that no one makes a good aftermarket replacement for the RAV's rear wiper -- such a pain in the butt to remove the insert and try to put in another one (that usually doesn't fit perfectly) that it's not even funny. It's just easier to buy the OEM one from Toyota.

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Looks like most of the major manufacturers now have a single-span steel spring product like the "Ultimate". I knew that Trico had their Innovision blades (which are half the price of the Valeos), but I just got back from a trip to Advance Auto Parts and they had Bosch Icon blades that were practically identical for $19.95 each. Now that's the kind of capitalism I like! Still adds up to $30-$40 for two, though... (grumble, grumble) :?

By the way... Trico's catalog search says the driver side blade is 24" and the passenger side is 17" -- is this correct?

Update: Whoop! Found a post at ClubLexus Forums that says there's a promotion at the AutoZone where if you buy a pair of Bosch Icon blades, you get a $15 gift card!

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Well depends on what you call the arm and blade. It's not just a wiper blade insert, if that's what you're wondering. Since it's all together, it replaces the entire multi-part sweep assembly that's attached to the rubber blade. All the way back to the mounting arm.

·
Registered
13 Posts
RAV4 'Aero' Wipers

US toyota dealers should be able to order these in: JDM/EU RAV4 'aero' wiper blades. i believe they are the same ones as those on the newer lexus models (eg. - IS250/350). i've posted a pic in my album, so check it out.

cheers, RAVJ

·
Registered
13 Posts
flyingn said:
thanks RavJ. Looking at your album. The push to start button is all the way over there!?? You have to reach to start it? Wow..
remember that in japan, we drive on the 'wrong' side of the road, just like UK and australia!!! :lol: so the start button is actually right next to the steering wheel.

SmartKey is so convenient....u just keep it in your pocket and forget about it. walk up to the car and the interior illumination automatically turns on. the moment you grab the door handle, it unlocks. hop in, foot on the brake, press the start button and you're good to go!!! this is much improved over previous gen. SmartKey systems....and better than BMW or VW systems, where you actually have to INSERT the key into the dash and then press the start button, so it defeats the whole purpose....

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
ohh yes. I forgot. My mistake!! Thanks!

RAVJ said:
flyingn said:
thanks RavJ. Looking at your album. The push to start button is all the way over there!?? You have to reach to start it? Wow..
remember that in japan, we drive on the 'wrong' side of the road, just like UK and australia!!! :lol: so the start button is actually right next to the steering wheel.

SmartKey is so convenient....u just keep it in your pocket and forget about it. walk up to the car and the interior illumination automatically turns on. the moment you grab the door handle, it unlocks. hop in, foot on the brake, press the start button and you're good to go!!! this is much improved over previous gen. SmartKey systems....and better than BMW or VW systems, where you actually have to INSERT the key into the dash and then press the start button, so it defeats the whole purpose....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts