Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I am wondering if I can get a replacement key for my 2007 RAV4 Limited that doesn't have the big bulky FOB (membrane type) part on it?

I frequently go on long runs (15 - 20 miles) and the key with the FOB is really quite bulky to carry easily, esp in the summers with just shorts, so I'm looking for a simple flat key -- I'm happy to unlock the car "manually".

I thought I could just take my car key to the hardware store and have them cut a duplicate, but having read some of the posts here I'm not sure it's that simple.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,942 Posts
I had three duplicates made at Ace Hardware for my 2006 Base V6, worked just like the OEM key, just with no buttons and the bulk.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
Yes, you can get a plain key made for any RAV4. The 2007 came with 2 remote keys, and a plain "valet" key. If it's the Limited model, the keys would need immobilizer chips in them, which is an added expense.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
If you don't have an immobilizer you will not see a Security LED light below the radio. It flashes when the car is off. Just make a duplicate with a plain key otherwise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had three duplicates made at Ace Hardware for my 2006 Base V6, worked just like the OEM key, just with no buttons and the bulk.
That is great news.

Just curious, does it also start the car (not a requirement), or just get you inside - which would be fine too as I store my other keys in the car already. I think some cars won't start without the prerequisite electronics.

Also, how much did it cost per key? I'd hope not much since there's no electronics. I just had a garage key cut at a hardware store, it was less than $2 :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, you can get a plain key made for any RAV4. The 2007 came with 2 remote keys, and a plain "valet" key. If it's the Limited model, the keys would need immobilizer chips in them, which is an added expense.
I had to check - yes - it's a Limited, thanks for making me aware of the distinction.

I believe the Valet key just opens the doors, and I would be happy with something that just does that - and keep the bulky key inside to start the car. Would that work, or do I still have to worry about electronics? That sounds like something ACE (or your local hardware store couldn't do?)

Any idea how much that would cost?

Makes me almost wish the cars had touchpads to enter.

I appreciate your information, thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you don't have an immobilizer you will not see a Security LED light below the radio. It flashes when the car is off. Just make a duplicate with a plain key otherwise.
Hmm .. I can't remember noticing this, I need to check next time I'm in the car. Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Premium Member
7,942 Posts
That is great news.

Just curious, does it also start the car (not a requirement), or just get you inside - which would be fine too as I store my other keys in the car already. I think some cars won't start without the prerequisite electronics.

Also, how much did it cost per key? I'd hope not much since there's no electronics. I just had a garage key cut at a hardware store, it was less than $2 :)

Yes, as I said it worked just like the OEM key, just no buttons, and as I said this was a base V6, so no immobilizer, vehicle could be operated normally. It's a double sided key which cost more like $4 each then, prolly $8 now, that was 10yrs ago.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
Yes, the valet key has a chip inside and will start the car. It will NOT unlock the glove box.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, the valet key has a chip inside and will start the car. It will NOT unlock the glove box.

Great, thanks, I definitely need to play around with the two types of keys I have. I didn't realize the glove box had a lock.

I definitely don't want to end up locking myself out in some way or the other.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you store a working immobilizer key in the car, then all you need to carry is a plain metal key to open the door.

Any locksmith or hardware store should be able to provide this, it's a TR47 or X217 blank from most manufacturers.

As others have pointed out, this metal key will NOT start the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you store a working immobilizer key in the car, then all you need to carry is a plain metal key to open the door.
It would open the door, but just not start the car with the immobilizer not stored in the car, is that right?

Any locksmith or hardware store should be able to provide this, it's a TR47 or X217 blank from most manufacturers.

As others have pointed out, this metal key will NOT start the car.
Great, thanks, I think I got the gist of it :)

Just to clarify, the glove box that sits between the seats actually locks? and won't unlock with the valet key? Or any simple duplicate key I make.

I've been putting my keys into that box when I go running, so if were to do that and take a simple metal key with me, I would essentially lock my keys and wouldn't be able to get to them (to start the car/get into my home) with the simple metal key though it would let me back into the car, am I piecing all the info together correctly here? And the same would apply for the valet key, I'd lock myself out of the center glove box?

Sorry, when I bought this car almost 10 years ago, it was my first car with a FOB and security system, and I've never really thought or worried about the keys.

Perhaps my easiest solution is to just find a way to carry the "real" bulky key with me or hide it away somewhere for the duration of my run.

I've appreciated everyone's postings here (and their patience with what must seem like elementary questions about this)

·
Registered
268 Posts
The glovebox we have been referring to is in front of the passenger, in the dashboard. The center console does not have a lock.

The metal key will not start the car unless you hold the immobilizer key right up to the ignition, and at that point you might as well just use the proper key.

The valet key would not help if you lock the immobilizer key in the glovebox, since it wouldn't be able to unlock it, or lock it in the first place. Which is why, if you get the metal key made, be sure to use the immobilizer key to copy from.

It's really not that complicated, just take your time understanding it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts