Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to installing my Sirius Satellite radio this past weekend. It was really quite simple. Keep in mind I am not an electrical engineer or an audiophile. I will try to take you through the process step-by-step. Please see the pictures in my album for reference (sorry there are not more; my digital camera ran out of juice midway through the install and I didn’t get that many shots). My initial thought was to put the radio where the sunglass holder is. I abandoned that idea when I saw how easy it would be to install the unit in front of the expansive cupholders.

Step 1: Find somebody who knows more about cars and car stereos than you :D <check>

Disassemble the entire center console. Other threads describe in greater detail how to do this so please read the other posts for the best input. I was amazed how easily some of the dash parts “popped off” the center unit. If you feel you are forcing a part, you probably are and should try another angle. I found it easiest to start “under” the parts and gently push and wiggle them until they come loose.

My goal was to “hard wire” the unit to the existing electrical. Turns out I didn’t need to do this. I simply got the face plate (in front the shifter, where the optional switches like heated seats might go; I have a base so nothing is there) off, and pushed the power supply through into the cavity under the stereo head unit (plenty of room under there). The radio will cover the hole that is left, so it does not look unsightly (see album). I am using the 12V socket (i.e. cigarette lighter) adapter that came with my Starmate Replay. No wires or harnesses were harmed in the installation process! No slicing or splicing involved.

I used the existing AUX port in the center console. To start, pull out the mirror control box in the center console (a sharp tug should make it pop out cleanly). Unhook the electrical portion for the mirror and put the part to the side. Next, find the AUX cable port in the center console, loosen it, and push it through to the center console (there will now be a hole in your center console; don’t worry there is an easy way to fix it). Next, get a ground loop isolater (Radio Shack Part #270-054) and plug into the AUX port (you will most likely need a ground loop isolater to eliminate the “whine” that will probably result if you don’t). Feed the cable under the shifter (if you removed all the plates it is no problem) to the open cavity under the head unit. Hook up the antenna, power source and the AUX cable and test. If everything works, reassemble the center console.

As previously stated, I have the cables coming through the empty switch plate to the far left on the console facing. Take the part you popped out of the console and pop it into the hole created when you pushed the AUX port. It fits perfectly. No hole in your center console now.

I realize this may sound complicated, but it was really quite easy. I would imagine it would take the average person about an hour (maybe a little more). If I didn’t stop for lunch, a couple of beers, listening to the Jimmy Buffett concert from New Orleans Jazz Fest, playing with my buddies kids and the dog, it would have gone much faster :lol:

Feel free to ask questions and I will try to answer. Special thanks to sko580 (Sidney) and Baron G for the suggestions, e-mails and inspiration. I appreciate it.

Slider

O

·
0 Posts
It looks good.. I installed my xm radio in the same spot. The only thing I have not done like yours is hard wire it into the 12 plug like you did. I was going to buy another 12v plug and install it behind the dash so I could plug into it there.

If you tap into the exhisting plug like you did can you still use it for phone chargers and other things?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okasan said:
It looks good.. I installed my xm radio in the same spot. The only thing I have not done like yours is hard wire it into the 12 plug like you did. I was going to buy another 12v plug and install it behind the dash so I could plug into it there.

If you tap into the exhisting plug like you did can you still use it for phone chargers and other things?

To answer your question, no.

I have that "power hole" covered by my radio unit. When I need a charge for my cell phone I use the power supply in the center console/armrest. Of course, you could always use the center console power supply and tuck it under the mirror control box with the AUX port, and then extend the power cord with the other cords.

Hope that helps.

O

·
0 Posts
I see.. I guess I should have looked at the pic again.. It is obvious :? Thanks for the write up and pics. Great job.. :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Slider,

Thanks for the ideas on the install. I just got the Pioneer Inno and used alot of your ideas to mount it in the same location and it went very easy. You were right about the panels coming off, piece of cake. Thanks for the post.

Tim

G

·
0 Posts
This install looks good, except for me, I have the decline assist button on the left and a power outlet on the right where you mounted yours. Now, I am not sure where to go with my Sirius.

G

P

·
0 Posts
Slider said:
Disassemble the entire center console. Other threads describe in greater detail how to do this so please read the other posts for the best input. I was amazed how easily some of the dash parts “popped off” the center unit. If you feel you are forcing a part, you probably are and should try another angle. I found it easiest to start “under” the parts and gently push and wiggle them until they come loose.
I'm new here (HI!) and maybe I'm just blind, but I can't find any of the threads that show how to dissamble the center console. :oops: Would someone a little more savvy than me post some links to the threads? Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
would you mind posting some pictures of your installation and process?
i am going to be installing SIRIUS in my RAV and am interested in what you have done.
thanks!
:D

D

·
0 Posts
Check my album for a pic of an alternate location for your Sirius. As for the process, I didn't do it, Best Buy did and it is a very clean job with no wires exposed. Antenna is above rear window.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts