Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we got the idea from others here to build a bed in the back of our Rav4 for camping/road trips. Most of them came from the 4.3 generation with much more head room. We had a few requirements we wanted to meet:
1. quick/easy to set up and take down (tired of setting up the tent and then bringing it home and setting up to dry etc)
2. able to fold the backseats up quickly if we need the extra seating and able to fit the bed in the cargo area)
3. be able to comfortably drive the car while it is completely set up
4. have some storage under the bed
5. have the ability to remove the back seats and still fit the bed for longer road trips

All we used were 2x4s and some joist hangers. Took us an evening to build and assemble.

Here is a picture progression of what we came up with: (pictures are numbered, if you have questions/want more info, let me know)
1. Back portion can still be set up with the backseats folded up
IMG_3314.jpg
2. We added supports to all sides and another one running up the middle.
IMG_3315.jpg
3. Used 1x3 for the slats
IMG_3345.jpg
4.Found some cheap foam tiles on Amazon for a base
IMG_3346.jpg
5. 2 inch memory foam mattress
IMG_3347.jpg
6. Ended up more or less being a full sized bed in the back!
IMG_3348.jpg
7. Cargo area folded up to accommodate coolers and other supplies
IMG_3350.jpg
8. All packed in the cargo area with rear seats folded up (haven't tried with all the bedding...)
IMG_3323.jpg

We made mosquito netting for the rear windows and sunroof that are magnetic to the outside and will be making shades/blinds for the inside.

Currently in the process of planning to wire up a separate marine battery to run fans and 12V for overnight without draining the car battery (any suggestions/recommendations from anyone who has done this is greatly appreciated!). Planning to wire this in to the other USB and 12V outlets I added to the backseat. Hoping to eventually throw in a solar charger/trickle charger.

After the first weekend, we thought it was our best nights sleep while camping in a long time! Have another trip planned in September where we will be taking kayaks with on top of the car. Can't wait to try that out!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm about 5'8" my wife is just a bit shorter. If you build it with the seats slid all the way up, I think you could be comfortable around 6'. We did slide the seats up a notch or two at night to make it a bit more comfortable but easy enough to drive with it in. Also thinking of getting a hitch shelf to help with moving coolers and such

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thanks for the heads up!

I don't think it will work given my height but I appreciate the pics and info!

·
Registered
5 Posts
So we got the idea from others here to build a bed in the back of our Rav4 for camping/road trips. Most of them came from the 4.3 generation with much more head room. We had a few requirements we wanted to meet:
1. quick/easy to set up and take down (tired of setting up the tent and then bringing it home and setting up to dry etc)
2. able to fold the backseats up quickly if we need the extra seating and able to fit the bed in the cargo area)
3. be able to comfortably drive the car while it is completely set up
4. have some storage under the bed
5. have the ability to remove the back seats and still fit the bed for longer road trips

All we used were 2x4s and some joist hangers. Took us an evening to build and assemble.

Here is a picture progression of what we came up with: (pictures are numbered, if you have questions/want more info, let me know)
1. Back portion can still be set up with the backseats folded up
View attachment 144590
2. We added supports to all sides and another one running up the middle.
View attachment 144591
3. Used 1x3 for the slats
View attachment 144592
4.Found some cheap foam tiles on Amazon for a base
View attachment 144593
5. 2 inch memory foam mattress
View attachment 144594
6. Ended up more or less being a full sized bed in the back!
View attachment 144595
7. Cargo area folded up to accommodate coolers and other supplies
View attachment 144596
8. All packed in the cargo area with rear seats folded up (haven't tried with all the bedding...)
View attachment 144597

We made mosquito netting for the rear windows and sunroof that are magnetic to the outside and will be making shades/blinds for the inside.

Currently in the process of planning to wire up a separate marine battery to run fans and 12V for overnight without draining the car battery (any suggestions/recommendations from anyone who has done this is greatly appreciated!). Planning to wire this in to the other USB and 12V outlets I added to the backseat. Hoping to eventually throw in a solar charger/trickle charger.

After the first weekend, we thought it was our best nights sleep while camping in a long time! Have another trip planned in September where we will be taking kayaks with on top of the car. Can't wait to try that out!
This is very cool!! I am trying to come up with solutions for sleeping in the back of mine more comfortably. I'm relatively short, so I can sleep back there with just the seats folded down, but it's not quite as comfortable as a real platform would be. do you have the measurements for this written down somewhere that you wouldn't mind sharing? Also do you have any updates to your build since this?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts