Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XLE Premium AWD
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else notice the slightest bump/jerk/knock feeling while driving on the freeway, letting foot off gas, coasting a bit, then re-engaging gas pedal? I have read that many AWD vehicles do this. Anyone else?

2021 XLE Premium AWD 31K miles.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Since the XLE Premium does not have the driveline disconnect, there shouldn't be anything other than a smooth transition. Basically, everything is still being turned by the rear wheels so at freeway speed, the AWD system shouldn't be reacting to anything. From what I understand, the AWD system is only active at lower speed around 40 to 50 mph. Don't quote me since Toyota had change some of this on the torque vectoring AWD that has the driveline disconnect.

Now, the 8 speed transmission on the gas only's are the same regardless of the AWD system. It, at times, does get confused, especially if it's deciding to downshift at the same moment you're back on the gas pedal. This is the nature of this transmission and can be frustrating.

·
Registered
2021 XLE Premium AWD
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I change the display to showing power delivered to wheels-they all are receiving power at 65-75mph, when this usually happens. Not sure how accurate that display is.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
When I change the display to showing power delivered to wheels-they all are receiving power at 65-75mph, when this usually happens. Not sure how accurate that display is.
Hmm, not sure how your AWD system uses that display. Someone with that trim shoudl chime in on what they see at freeway speeds.
On mine with the dynamic torque vectoring AWD, at those speeds, if I let off the gas, the display shows no blue indicating that there is no power going to any of the tires. At lower speeds, once I get over a certain speed about 35 mph (and this is where Toyota changed things. I believe they change it to 50 mph) my display shows no power to the rear wheels and the driveline to the rear also doesn't show blue. While still giving it gas, the front wheels are the only items in blue. Speeds below 35 mph, if I turn the steering wheel slightly left or right, the opposite rear wheel will turn blue indicating power. This is the torque vectoring happening. The tire on the outside of the curve is getting power to push the car around the curve. Once straight again, only blue to the front tires. Yes, when a rear tire turns blue, the rear driveline also turns blue. This doesn't happen at freeway speeds. Dynamic Torque Vectoring is only on the gas only Limited, the Adventure and the TRD trim which is basically a slightly modified Adventure trim.

·
Registered
2021 XLE Premium AWD
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so this may be a more accurate description of what is happening. When travelling at any speed, but more evident at higher speeds-50-80mph, when I take my foot off the gas/coast, re-engaging the gas pedal, no matter how gentle, results in the rpms surging ever so slightly-see video-surge. Maybe this is a drive by wire design? The slight surge is felt. Just not sure if all Rav4s due this or only AWD.

·
Registered
2021 XLE Premium AWD
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the same model and only notice it in speeds greater than 70. Don't notice it at any other point when driving. Very subtle but not to say its jerking forward
Jerk might have been too strong a word-I just feel something slight. Faster the speed, more impactful the re-engagement is. Probably just the transmissions torque converter design coupled with the drive by wire system.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Back in the day when locking torque converter were just come out, they had an issue they called, from what I remember, jiggle or something like that. This was the transition when the torque converter locked and unlocked. The customers would think that there was problems with their cars and bring them to the dealer to get them fixed. This might be what you're feeling. They must have resolved this feeling by now or it's amplified when it's part of an AWD system.

Reactions: Rocko9999

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I assume AWD usually have some engagement feel normally? First time with an AWD vehicle.
I have had 3 vehicles with a 4 wheel drive arrangement. A 1998 Ford Explorer which had a automatic 4 wheel drive system, a 2009 BMW X3 AWD and now the 2019 RAV4. None of these system had any feeling of engagement in normal operation. The only one that came close to having a feel was the X3. Going to the office had a left hand turn that would drop the right-hand front wheel down as you crested the last part of the turn. On occasion, the AWD system would buzz that wheel as if it thought that it had lost traction; not at any high speed either. I was a weird feeling that I had at other left turns at other intersections. Never for right-hand turns though.

With the gas only Limited, if it wasn't for the display, it drives as if it was a FWD vehicle. Now, I should say that mine had the electro-mechanical clutch repaired under the TSB related to the buzz/groan, but it's been fine ever since {knock on wood}

Reactions: Rocko9999
1 - 10 of 10 Posts