Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a slight vibration at all speeds. It gets more noticable when I exceed 62 mph (100 kph). It feels like it is in the seat of my pants which suggests something in the back end of the vehicle is the culprit.

For context, it's not the tires for sure (new summer tires on OEM rims and new winter tires on 2 new sets of different branded rims - multiple rim and tire combo's tried, lots of balancing and rebalancing, alignment performed and vibration still there). Tires wearing evenly. Whiny transaxle replaced under TSB warranty ... vibration there before and after this replacement work. Left rear axle seal was replaced (no leak since) and new Bilstein shocks installed within last year. Vibration still there.

Around town where most of our driving occurs, the vibration is subtle and barely noticeable but it is still there. At upper highway speeds, it is more prevalent ... not a death wobble type vibration, but nonetheless not smooth the way it should be. I'm thinking maybe a bent rear axle? Anyone else have a similar problem they have dealt with? Suggestions or ideas? Thx.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2010 V6 Limited (now on 120000km) and have had lots of vibration issues that are now sorted, I now just have the firm/harsh (depending on your perspective) ride that comes as standard in the RAV4.

To sort out vibrations i've taken the following steps
- put on ultra soft riding tires and ensure they're balanced (the RAV seems to react sensitively when a tire is even a little out of balance).
- replace 3/4 shocks.
- also did a bearing
- Alignment
- replace both parking brake cables. This was causing slight vibrations as they were sticking slightly, then when they completely seized they produced crazy vibrations, which allowed me to identify what was going on and fix them.

A bent rear axle could cause some issues, although I'd assume during a major service/maintenance a mechanic would check for this?

Good luck on your search to fix the vibration.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
I don't know how but possibly a bent driveshaft. Unlike the front one on a 4X4 F-250 the rear one on a RAV4 is always turning.
BTW, my 2001 Blue Ford F250 Lariat SuperCab 7.3 Diesel carries my Palomino Maverick M-800 truck camper.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You can check for run out on your rim by jacking the car up and spinning the wheel by hand. you just need a regular carpenters square, a pencil, 2 short 2x4s a couple of bar clamps and a spring clamp. Stand the square up between the 2x4s and clamp it in place. clamp the pencil onto the vertical piece so that is almost touching the rim. turn the rim and tyre by hand, watching to see if the gap changes as the wheel is rotated. If there is an obvious movement, remove the wheel assembly and do the same test to the axle flange. While you have the vehicle up on stands, crawl under and turn the rear driveshaft and look for an area that looks a little cleaner then the rest. If you find one, it could indicate a spot where a balance weight has fallen off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts