Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I'm the proud owner of a brand-spankin' new 2006 RAV4. I love it. One question, though:

Has anyone else felt a slight vibration under their seat (driver and passenger) when idling at a light? It seems to coincide with the Fan being on positions 1+. The AC is not on, nor is the Defogger. I guess the compressor kicks in everyone 30 seconds or so, and in doing so it lowers the RPMs for a few seconds and creates the vibration I speak of.

Anyone else felt this?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Apparently all 4-cylinder 06 models have this vibration

This topic has been raised on this forum before. I have this vibration when the ac cycles on. It must be in drive, ac on, and the car is motionless (stop light) while in drive.

It is a pretty noticable vibration and everyone who cares should complain to the dealer. Maybe just maybe, Toyota will come out with a fix.

Gene

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
All RAV4 do this, I am not sure what it is. It is not the AC compressor. I think it may be the cooling fan or the brake fluid pump if the RAV have one.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. In my case the AC is NOT on when the vibration occurs. The Fan is on, yes, but certainly not the AC. I'm no expert but I think the compressor can kick on even if the AC isn't on, specfically when the Defogger is on.

Interesting. Well, I've got an appointment for a dealer to look at it this weekend. I'm not optimistic, but I'll let you know what they say. I'm expecting a generic answer, but I'll try my best not to accept it!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Vibration at idle..

While sitting at idle in park whilst awaiting on the Mrs, I noticed this intermittent vibration also. Even in park.
So I popped the hood and looked for what was running when the vibration occured and thats when I noticed that it was when the twin fans kicked in is when I noticed the vibration. They would run for 15 to 20 secs then turn off. They'd stay off for about 60 secs then kick back on again.
My guess is that when the fans kicked in, the load on the alternator would increase thusly loading down the engine.

The engine was warmed up to normal operating temp and I was running the AC but the compressor's cycling was much longer and the vibrations seemed to be in sync w/the fans.

I'd say that this is normal, especially when one takes into consideration all the management the CPU puts into controlling the alternators output at the optimum times.

Of course it's JHMO

Volfandt

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
g00b2 said:
Thanks for the replies. In my case the AC is NOT on when the vibration occurs. The Fan is on, yes, but certainly not the AC. I'm no expert but I think the compressor can kick on even if the AC isn't on, specfically when the Defogger is on.

Interesting. Well, I've got an appointment for a dealer to look at it this weekend. I'm not optimistic, but I'll let you know what they say. I'm expecting a generic answer, but I'll try my best not to accept it!
Just wondering if the dealer looked at it yet.

I noticed something similar but I did not have the fan or the ac on.
I noticed it on the automatic transmission selector in idle when the engine is warm.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: Vibration at idle..

Volfandt said:
While sitting at idle in park whilst awaiting on the Mrs, I noticed this intermittent vibration also. Even in park.
So I popped the hood and looked for what was running when the vibration occured and thats when I noticed that it was when the twin fans kicked in is when I noticed the vibration. They would run for 15 to 20 secs then turn off. They'd stay off for about 60 secs then kick back on again.
My guess is that when the fans kicked in, the load on the alternator would increase thusly loading down the engine.

The engine was warmed up to normal operating temp and I was running the AC but the compressor's cycling was much longer and the vibrations seemed to be in sync w/the fans.

I'd say that this is normal, especially when one takes into consideration all the management the CPU puts into controlling the alternators output at the optimum times.

Of course it's JHMO

Volfandt
Interesting observation. Strangely, mine stops vibrating the minute I shift into neutral.

I look forward to an explanation from Toyota. It's not a major problem, but irritating.

Gene

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alas, I have seen the dealer. However, I'm reporting nothing of substance here.

After a nice hour's wait and reading the paper, my rav was taken in. They returned with the verdict not 5 minutes later: this is normal and expected on all RAV4's. Terrific, thanks for the update. The service guy told me he doens't blame me at all for my reservations and offered for me to sit in another similar RAV4 to compare the vibrations to put my mind at ease. Unfortunately they didn't have another 4 cyl there, only a V6. For the record, V6's don't do this at all. So I'm going to return once they have a 4cyl for me to sit in and compare.

It SOUNDS like there's nothing much to be worried about, and from the sounds of it I can sit in anyone's in this forum and feel the same thing, but I just want to make sure that MY vibrations aren't worse than the average. I'll keep you posted.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
g00b2 rest easy. I have the same vibration and it is not minor.I also have the I4.
What on earth! This is the only major complaint I have against this car.

yupp, everything is smooth untill you switch the car into gear. then the whole thing shakes.

after the tranny warms up, it goes away, mostly. Yes, when the fans go on, yet again.

And what is the worst? The damn A/C. Now that is for some a** shaking vibration. lol.

talking about A/C, I do not think it is adequate for the car.

also, the alternator looks tiny.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts