Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...interesting story. My friend is a big police buff and he decided to purchase a slim jim (I dont know from where) but he got one. And of course my stupid self allows him to test out his new toy on my car :roll: . I still dont know what i was thinking, but I thought itd be cool to see him unlock my car with this slim jim thing. Well...either he sucks at using it, or the Rav has an anti slim jim shield because he couldnt open any of the doors. In any event for some reason now the outside door lock doesnt work i.e when i stick the key in the door handle and turn....i get nothing, i turn the key and theres no resistance from the door...it just spins and no unlocking happens. ALSO now the driver power door lock is on the Fritz, and randomly locks itself and then when i try to unlcok using the power door locks...i get nothing. I have to physically unlock the door from the inside then it starts working again...needless to say my locking system is now offically screwed and i have no ideas accept to pay the $160 toyota fee just to "diagnose :roll: " the issue. Any suggestions?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Suggestion; get your friend to pay.

Keep in mind that I don't know what a Slim Jim is!

But seriously, the door locks are usually held in place with a flimsy circlip on the inside. If your lock is just turning, it might have come loose or fallen off. This could be affecting the electric switch associated with it.

You might be able to remove the door lining and inspect it yourself.

Brian

·
Registered
771 Posts
Unless you know what your doing DON'T TRY UNLOCKING YOUR DOORS THIS WAY UNLESS ITS AN EMERGENCY! There are too many connections in there to just go poking around for the h&!! of it. It does require some skill to use the "Slim Jim" correctly. Its alot tougher on newer cars and some do have anti-theft guards built in. Good luck fixing your problem. It sounds like you have a short in the wiring. He probably cut the sheath on a wire to cause the short. Should be an easy fix. Cheers. M.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Slim Jim... it's a tasty beef peperoni stick!

(Bite into a Slim Jim!!!!) :lol: .

Actually, it's a tool used to open doors when your keys are locked inside your car:

http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/pcd/9422172/prd/14534125/ccsyn/260

I've got one too, but don't know how the heck to use it. Someone gave it to me a long time ago; and it's been sitting in the tool closet ever since.

By the way, who is Nelson Munz? :roll:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replys everyone. Okay well I think im gonna go head and take the door apart and look at it....of course, I wont know what to be looking for except for anything that looks out of place. If I find something and fix the door Ill let you guys know! Otherwise....toyota will be $160 richer becuase of my lack of common sense :cry:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AIG010 said:
Thanks for the replys everyone. Okay well I think im gonna go head and take the door apart and look at it....of course, I wont know what to be looking for except for anything that looks out of place. If I find something and fix the door Ill let you guys know! Otherwise....toyota will be $160 richer becuase of my lack of common sense :cry:

Ur friend could be $160 poorer... !

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While its agreed it was a dumb mistake, many modern cars are made so the door cannot be opened that way and will actually break the locking mechanism. I know because I locked my keys in my last car, and had the gas station guy try and slim jim open my door only to cause a few hundred dollars in damage in the process. When the actual locksmith/tow truck guy game he told me about how the newer cars are made with this anti-theft device.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts