Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 XLE with the automatic temperature control. When I start the engine it takes several seconds before the A/C/ begins to spool up, probably 8-10 seconds. That's a long time at 9x degrees and 6x humidity. Is that the norm with these? Can anything be done to spool it up more quickly?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I'm fortunate it's only 8-10 seconds. Once it's going it is excellent, much better than the CR-V I had before it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Same thing with my 2015 LE. Takes about 10 seconds or so, then it works fine

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
As one who spent summers in the CA Central Valley and lived in Minnesota with temps. in the 90s and humidity at 70+% and in cars and trucks with no A/C, an 8-10 second A/C spool-up seems like zero inconvenience. Also the delay may be so that the engine can complete startup and emissions functions before having the compressor load kick in.

·
Super Moderator
10,129 Posts
I'm quite sure the compressor itself starts immediately. It's just the blower is delayed so as not to blow the hot air inside all the ductwork into the passenger area.
You avoid it by using a remote starter to start the car as you approach.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
2017 XLE with the automatic temperature control. When I start the engine it takes several seconds before the A/C/ begins to spool up, probably 8-10 seconds. That's a long time at 9x degrees and 6x humidity. Is that the norm with these? Can anything be done to spool it up more quickly?
Try turning on Sport Mode prior to hitting the AC. May help a tad?

·
Registered
20 Posts
8-10 seconds seems a bit long to me. I was just out in my 2015 XLE and the blower started up about 3 seconds after I started the engine. (It's currently 88°F here.)
The only thing unusual I've noticed about the blower is that on Eco mode it always blows about one speed lower than in Normal or Sport mode, regardless of whether I'm using heat or AC.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe that's one of the features of Eco mode, dialing back the HVAC by one notch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I assumed as much, but thought I would mention it anyway. Not much of a savings if you ask me.
But 8 - 10 seconds to start seems excessive.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
I assumed as much, but thought I would mention it anyway. Not much of a savings if you ask me.
But 8 - 10 seconds to start seems excessive.
My 2008 Limited has always been like that. It's aggravating at this time of the year.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was told by the dealer that the blower won't start until the evaporator core comes down to a set temperature. Was told heat works the same way. Salesman actually told me this without being asked since it was a hot day we test drove on, so I guess it's been a point of contention.

·
Super Moderator
10,129 Posts
Yep, you can't beat physics. You could have the blower come on instantly if you wanted to get blasted with hot air - or cold air in winter. When my wife & I are traveling together, usually in the Accord, we open the front doors to let the hot air out for maybe 10 seconds before getting in. If it was an issue in our RAV4 we'd use our remote starter.

At home we have the option of parking in the shade and usually when she's out with the RAV4 my wife is loading goods into the car before getting in.

Of course most owners probably have to park at work where options are limited. That issue stopped for me in 1992 but if not I'd probably have designed some solar powered system to keep temperatures down.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The air in the duct is what it is regardless of how quickly or slowly the system comes on. I agree in winter there has to be a delay because it takes a bit of time to warm up enough for the heater to work. The A/C could come on immediately just like in cars with manual control A/C it would seem. Start the vehicle and in about a second the A/C is on at the same setting as when the car was turned off, or a new one if you twisted the knob(s) before starting. I don't get why my CR-V with manual A/C could immediately function but the fancier, smarter automatic A/C needs 8 seconds to figure out how to function.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So not only is it too slow to start up but now one time it finally started after the usual 9-10 second delay but blew only hot air for another 12-14 seconds after that. Then if finally got cold and worked properly.

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
Grumping over nothing! Does the A/C in your house make it frigid within 8 seconds of starting? What a silly post in my view. Perhaps a Rolls would get cold quicker.

·
Super Moderator
10,129 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The A/C in my house starts immediately after switching on, not 10 seconds later, and it produces cold air as soon as it starts. The A/C in my RAV4 starts 10 seconds after switching on. No other car has done that. Every other car owned, and there have been too many, has had the A/C going within 1 second of starting the car. It may take a second or two to push the stale air out of the ducts but that is normal for every car or home. I don't expect the car to be cool/cold instantly. I just expect the A/C to come on instantly, not with a 10 second delay before even starting to come on. If that's silly then don't bother reading the thread.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts