Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a long, long time, but I had to fix something on one of my automatic trans RAV4.1s! The brake pedal was feeling clunky/sticky/sloppy. I pulled the pedal (need pliers for the return spring and clip, and a 14 mm wrench and socket for the upper bolt), and only slightly to my surprise found both the retaining bolt and the master cylinder rod-to-brake pedal bolt were dry as a bone.

You too can get the lower bolt out after removing the top bolt.

A little high temperature grease on both, and the little plastic inserts, and about a half hour's work solved the funny pedal feel. I then did my second RAV4, which was also bone dry, but hadn't yet developed the funky feel -- and it took only 15 minutes due to reduced learning curve.

If you do this too, be careful not to overtighten the retaining bolt because that caused one pedal to press and release slowly. Also be sure not to whack the brake light switch (the brake lights will stay on while the pedal is out).

Next: squeeky rear brakes on one. Other posts say first to remove the accumulated dust and then to adjust them. Next weekend ...

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No pics, sorry.

Update on the rear brakes -- went well. Love those tapped holes for popping off the drums with a couple of bolts.

Lots of brake dust trapped in both cars' drums. Then adjusted both sets of brakes (two RAV4s) -- the little rubber plug in the drum gives good access to the star nut if you line up the axle and drum holes well. And if you over-adjust, you can pull the ratchet away and turn the nut back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts