Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Slow Acceleration and Losing Speed Uphill

28K views 41 replies 6 participants last post by  Alex Hzd 
#1 ·
Last week, I noticed that that my 97 Rav4 4WDL (175,000 miles) manual wasn't performing normally. The rpm was shooting up past 3400 every time I changed to higher gear (it should fall) before it falls. In addition, the car is slow to accelerate even when I am pushing hard on the accelerator and it doesn't maintain speed going uphill at 4th or 5th gears. So, I have to drop to 3rd to keep going.
I Changed the clutch a 12 months ago and changed one of the gear shift cable 6 months ago. Spark plugs and spark plug wires 2 days ago. I am the only driver.
Oil change (5W40) a few days before I started to notice the problem.
It would seem odd that the clutch burn out so fast again.
I burned out a tank of gas since and filled up with high octane gas but problem persists.
What do guys think is the problem?
Any fixes?

#2 ·
Could be a sticky throttle body? if the RPM stays high after you back off, the throttle plate is not closing in time. it could also explain the lack of throttle response too.

A can of carburetor cleaner and 20mins of your time is all you will need if you find its sticky (work the throttle by hand to rule out a rusted throttle cable too)

Reactions: Benny10
#42 ·
Could be a sticky throttle body? if the RPM stays high after you back off, the throttle plate is not closing in time. it could also explain the lack of throttle response too.

A can of carburetor cleaner and 20mins of your time is all you will need if you find its sticky (work the throttle by hand to rule out a rusted throttle cable too)
My automatic has the same problem....mechanic said she's fine but the sluggishness uphill and slow acceleration continues.

#12 ·
If you pop the hood and twist the throttle plate by hand, it should snap back with no real resistance apart from the spring trying to force it shut, if its very "gummy" feeling and has difficulty closing, it could be part of the issue.

If you are getting on the gas before the clutch is fully engages, the RPM will surge too, so I would suggest faster clutching if that is the issue.

The idle speed at cold is normal, these engines have a thermostatic IAC valve to make cold starting and warmup easier, its normal for it do drop in RPM once warmed up.

#4 ·
If the rpms go up the engine isn't the problem the clutch is. Apparently it wasn't adjusted correctly when the new one was put in. The slippage will be worst in the higher gears. Get it adjusted and hope for the best.

#6 ·
Could very well take that long if it has been mis-adjusted allowing slight slippage. This all assumes you aren't in the habit of riding the clutch. That'll do it too.

#10 ·
Okay, the truth comes out! :frown
If you get an adjustment to your left foot and the clutch there may be hope. Otherwise buy an automatic!

#13 ·
I believe it's a clutch, not a fuel filter or throttle body problem, but Aussie's test should be done to rule out a sticking throttle. If it passes his test do this: With the engine warmed up and idling normally in neutral, stab the accelerator pedal most of the way down and release it quickly. If the rpms don't "hang" at all the throttle is okay and we'll go on to my clutch test.

Drive down a level road at a steady speed of 65mph or so in 5th gear. Foot completely off the clutch please! Now floor the accelerator. You should get slow acceleration with the speedometer and tachometer moving up slowly. If the rpms jump up and you have to release the accelerator to get them back down, your clutch is cooked.

If it passes the cooked-clutch test we'll do the CAC (clutch almost cooked) test. Under the same conditions (accelerator floored at 65) where you're getting a slow speed and tach increase, now stab the clutch and release it. The rpms will jump because you've induced clutch slip, but a good clutch will reengage ASA you release it. Again, if you have to release the accelerator to get the rpms back down, your clutch is going and causing the lack of power issues. The good news: You don't have to bother finding or replacing your fuel filter.

#14 ·
Dr Dyno,
I finally got the fuel filter out and that took me a little time. I will be putting through the paces that you suggested but I have a few questions:
Why did my last clutch burn out so fast (less than 12 months) and 10k miles?
Have you heard the same issue with other 97 Rav4L 4WD?
Typically, how long does a clutch last?
I mentioned that someone noticed that my foot lingers a little too long on the clutch but that only occurs on 1st and 2nd gears because the car jerks forward - may have to do with torque - if I release the clutch too fast.

#16 ·
A clutch should last 10X longer than that, if not more if driven right. however, I was discussing this issue with a friend who did a clutch on his car and had it go out within 10,000km because - A, it was a cheap nasty one, and B, the flywheel did not get resurfaced.
If you used a high quality clutch and had the flywheel resurfaced it should not be failing,

As far as slipping the clutch in goes, you can generally get away with a bit of that, a slow rolling start in 2nd put as much strain on it and mine last just fine. have not killed a clutch yet even with more conservative gentle shifts.

Do the cheap easy tests first before ordering a new clutch, make sure your throttle body is closing properly (mainly if RPM shoots up when the clutch is disengaged) and not sticking and do Dr.Dyno's CAC test,

#17 ·
I ordered a clutch online from Autozone and they sent me the wrong one. So, I went ahead and got the last clutch and flywheel at a place that rebuilds clutch not too far from the house. I believe I paid $125 for it. I don't think it was a good quality clutch.
Can you suggest a reputable place that will send the right part the first time and that will last long? I like the car and want to put good parts in it because I can't afford to change parts all the time. And also, how much should I expect to pay for a good clutch?
Thank you all for all the advice.

#18 ·
If it was a reco clutch unit you got its not surprise it made a mess, I do not think anyone bothered rebuilding them here outside of heavy machinary markets.

Not sure if you can get them in the US but I use Exedy kits, they are around $300AUD, but work well. if a bit heavy duty (noticeably heavier pedal thanks to tougher springs). the flywheel comes off and gets resurfaced at a local shop, my lathe is not rigid or tooled well enough for it.

#19 ·
With the exception of city use a good clutch should last 100,000 miles or more. The only time it wears at all is when it's slipping either when it's supposed to while shifting gears or when it should be fully engaged between shifts but isn't due to operator error or improper adjustment. Anything that makes it slip unnecessarily such a holding a car on a hill or powershifting (I miss it!) will drastically reduce its life.

www.[B]summitracing[/B].com 800-230-3030 is about the best source I know of for online parts. They have knowledgeable guys on the phone not just order takers.

Get a full kit including the disc, pressure plate and throwout bearing not just a clutch disc. I also suspect your flywheel has been damaged, possibly severely cooked. It'll at least need resurfacing if not replacement.

#21 ·
Summit racing sells both racing and "normal" parts, probably way more of the latter. Got my RAV4 front discs from them. Best price I could find anywhere and super quick shipping.
Their racing background is probably why any of their representatives I've ever talked to have been impressively knowledgeable and helpful. They love their jobs.

#22 ·
I took the car to a mechanic today and he suggested that one of the reason the clutch went bad so fast (less than a year and 10K miles) is that the mechanic that installed it previously did not sand or grind the surface of the pressure plate before installation causing a lack of friction when the gears are engaged.
Can anyone speak to this?

#23 ·
True. I've heard of resurfacing the flywheel but never the pressure plate. That's why I say the pressure plate, clutch disc, and throwout bearing should be replaced as a kit. But if the customer insists on a cheap clutch job only the disc gets changed.

I did just that only replacing the disc on one of my Accords twice. The car always had a shudder on takeoff. Finally, the third time I splurged on the whole kit and the shudder was gone. That was 3 clutches in 400,000 miles.

#24 ·
oh god, yeah if you just got the clutch disk and used a worn pressure plate set and flywheel, it would definitely explain the failure. I didn't think they even sold disks separate anymore, everything I have bought and seen is a full kit with disk, pressure plate assy, throw-out bearing etc.

I would get the whole kit from Exidy or Summit and do the whole lot inc flywheel resurface, then she will be good as new.

#26 ·
I'd really like to see that flywheel when it comes off. If the clutch has been slipping as much as I think it has the flywheel is probably 7 shades of purple and may even be cracked from all the heat. It may very well need replacing too.

#27 ·
Ah sorry, I see what you mean now. hope its all done properly the 2nd time around!.

#28 ·
Thanks a lot for all the feedback,
Where do I get a good flywheel?I am having a real hard time finding a site I can trust.
I just got a clutch from Exedy but it doesn't look they make flywheels for this model. The mechanic said the I need a new flywheel before he put in the clutch. Help!

#29 ·
What's your definition of "finding a site I can trust."

I haven't done a search but it takes a lot of abuse to ruin a flywheel so it may be dealer only part. Where does your mechanic say to buy one?

#30 ·
The prices range $56 to $430 and some sites don't even specify whether the part will fit my car.
I finally did a search for Toyota parts and found a couple of sites but prices are still wide ranging. How much should I reasonably expect to pay? For instance, Rockauto.com $73.99 and another online part $342.00.

#31 ·
Why not give us the links. Maybe we can help figure them out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.