Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was involved in a small accident with a Rav4, picture attached. Anyone have a rough idea of how much I can expect for this? The only thing damaged is the hatch lid, the bumber is unharmed, and the trunk still seals, so no structural damage. (Was hit going maybe 5mph at most, car was rolling forward at a green light)

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well the dent removal guy sure isn't going to take that out. I would be wild guessing if I said what it will cost (it will be expensive), but isn't the other person insurance going to pay. If they hit you from behind, they will be the one at fault.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reason I ask is because the other party would prefer to pay cash rather than go through insurance, which I can understand - was just trying to ballpark and sort through options. :smile

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Take it to a well-know shop and they will give you a detailed estimate within 30 minutes.
Don't forget to add the cost of rental for a car while yours is under repair.
Choose a shop that gives lifetime warranty on their work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. We're also trying to figure out if the damages are going to be <$1000, which determines whether or not we have to file a police report. As if dealing with an accident isn't bad enough on its own :p

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Yes that will be well over $1000 IMO. Given where it was hit, there may be buckling where the hatch lid catches as well. But I'm pretty sure you'll need a new hatch door at the very least which will in itself be well over $1000 I'd imagine.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
By all means be careful. I lived there and was married there. Not reporting can lead to civil penalties. Massachusetts law can be beyond strident, ridiculous with enforcement.

Over $1000 for sure!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
My small accident from a few months ago was $9000. Largest single costs were the new drivers door and paint. I'd imagine the hatch door is a LOT more expensive than the drivers door.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
My wife did this just accidentally pinning the recycle cart between the car and the garage door frame as she was backing out. Repairs estimated at $1400. Anything involving paint is pretty much guaranteed to be >$1000 these days. Would also say you're looking at a new hatch door + blend paint job.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The other guy may want to keep this under the radar but that is only helping him at the possible expense of you. I would report this to the your insurance company and the police asap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ouch -- Rear hatch repair!

I recently was in a similar accident and the repair estimate (not final yet) in just south of $3800.00. Be careful, the body shop says that with a rear door replacement that the air spoiler is a non-reusable part -- about $1100 part only.
My photo attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks John H - mine doesn't look nearly that bad, but if the hatch has to be replaced, it won't make much of a difference, huh? :wall

·
Registered
335 Posts
Send car to a dent removal guy. They can fix it. Last time my small car hit by someone on rear door in a parking lot. The door damaged (much bad than your RAV4). I sent it to a dent removal shop. They fixed it very good!! It costed me $140.

When I sent to dent removal shop, they ask me go to body shop since the damage is not dents. But I ask they do the best they can, give it a try. Very important -- paint on your lift gate is not damaged. So before sending to body shop, try dent shop first.

If you are in Troy, Michigan area, you can try that shop:

Dent Eliminators
2811 West 14 Mile Road
Royal Oak, MI 48073
248-613-7110

·
Registered
258 Posts
If the other guy was at fault and they are paying for the repair, why would you want to take it to a dent removal shop. Get it fixed right or you will never be happy with it. Now if you backed into something and didn't want to turn it in to your insurance company, then going the cheap way might be something that you would consider. But not this time.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
If the other guy was at fault and they are paying for the repair, why would you want to take it to a dent removal shop. Get it fixed right or you will never be happy with it. Now if you backed into something and didn't want to turn it in to your insurance company, then going the cheap way might be something that you would consider. But not this time.
The other guy apparently wants to obviate a report to his insurance company.

Unfortunately, in Massachusetts reporting the accident to the police is mandatory; if not filed it can be called a hit-and-run offense. It does not have to be enforced that way, but as you suggested, it can put one of the participants at a huge disadvantage.

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
As it appears that the other driver was at fault and will pay for the repairs, your RAV should be taken to a reputable body shop which will restore it to a "like it never happened" state and also will restore any rust proofing and also will provide a "lifetime" warranty regarding the repairs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was rear ended like that a few months after I got my 2013 Rav xle. I cost $2500, I took it to the Toyota dealership I bought the car from and they suggested that I replace the whole hatch so there were no fitment issues in the future.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Our previous Volvo V70 was side swiped during someones lane change...our car got hit with mini vans driver mirror, doing 60 mph.
a) a deep enough dent was isolated above rear door handle (stretched metal)
a) and a black plastic mark ran down the top of the rear quarter panel...3 ft long

Other lady was 100% at fault & she admitted it.
- wife call me, and said lady don't want her rates to go up & willing to pay
- I instructed wife to record insurance #, ladies license #, cell phone # and current address
(take photos of ID)
- plus sign a note that stating lady was 100% at fault & she did not suffer any personal injury
^^ And before driving our Volvo wagon home, take some cell photos of accident scene.

I went to my top auto body shop / quote was $1350 with tax.
Lady thought dent looked more like a $500 fix.
- I reminded her, the door and rear quarter panel needs fully painted with base & clear coat
I said, $800 cash & your problem goes away / I'll repair it myself.
(note - in Ontario, small accidents must be reported in 48 hours...or they can walk away, from any liability)
- lady paid the $800, as her daughter was in the insurance business & advised her to pay up

Below is the repaired car, and damage could no longer be spotted.
a) cost me $100 and one Saturday afternoon, for the local dent guy to repair metal damage
b) took me 20 minutes, to hand buff out the paint damage
Profit = $800-$100 = $700 ...a little win-win !!

andyw59 - trunk lid damage...fixed photo for you.

^^ Without knowing what Toyota charges for a brand new tail gate, plus auto body labor & materials...hard to estimate true damage.
- wouldn't surprise me, if $4,500 there

PS - get the cash value, of estimate / buy used tail gate from wreckers / have it painted to match & installed (pocket $2,000)...or go the dent guy route (get repair to 98% perfect), and pocket $4K.
Turn a negative into a positive ($$), I would !!.

Plus - avoid Insurance job & maintain a clean CarFax (if possible) - once reported, resale/trade-in value depreciation could probably be a +15% net loss.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts