Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the small info screen centered in the dash above the nav.entune screen is for? Test drove a limited the other day and the only thing I saw there were a couple of info icons displayed at self check upon startup. The salesman was baffled as wel. In my 4Runner it has many configurable data displays like mpg, range, outside temp. Etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Evening - if you're referring to the screen in the center of the dash behind the steering wheel, it will do all the things you describe, including a message center, average mpg, miles to empty, eco display, AWD/g-force display or music. I'm likely forgetting a few items as well. You can toggle between them for a goodly amount of information, or can simply have a blank screen.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just went outside and checked this in my XLE Hybrid. Above / behind the NAV there is a button on the left for the hazards and another button on the right to turn on/off traction control. In the middle - right I see a security icon and the air bag info for the drive and or passenger. These do light up at startup like you said and then I believe they go off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Evening - if you're referring to the screen in the center of the dash behind the steering wheel, it will do all the things you describe, including a message center, average mpg, miles to empty, eco display, AWD/g-force display or music. I'm likely forgetting a few items as well. You can toggle between them for a goodly amount of information, or can simply have a blank screen.
Thanks for the reply, but no, I mean the display in the center above the nav/entune BIG display not the driver information center in the middle of the gages.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Turbotom, so they have changed the purpose of that display from that of my 4Runner and from the salesman's inference previous RAV4's.

·
Registered
52 Posts
That display was used for the clock in the 2013-2015 Rav4 but in the 2016 the clock is moved to the main screen. Now the display isn't used except for the bird's eye camera on-off switch.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, that is kind of what I suspected. It also still has some idiot lights on it and there is a switch on the right side of the display as well as the left side, correct?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes - It has the air bag sensor lights for the passenger side air bag, the engine immobilizer light plus the switches for the bird's eye system and vehicle stability control (that's the right side switch - probably the most poorly placed switch in the whole car IMO). I think the bird's eye switch is set into the plastic of the display where the clock reset switch used to be in 2013-2015 models but I don't have that system so there's nothing there on my car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
On mine, the bird's eye button is on the left side, next to an icon resembling a coffee cup. I asked the dealer whether that button activates the coffee maker.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it just me, who finds this hilarious and rather unprofessional?

I mean, come on, this is a $50k flagship model of Toyota we are talking about, and they cannot be bothered to repurpose or remove a central panel that used to be a clock?! That really annoys me.

Even the original user manual book that came with the RAV4 instructs me how to configure my clock there - in this empty void of a screen that doesn't display anything but a couple of icons on the far right side...

And the coffee button... it's just funny.

The bird's eye camera switch can surely be placed somewhere more conveniently.

And that's on the highest class luxury interior version... so disappointing.

Glad I found this post, otherwise I was about to call my dealers and ask them who stole my clock :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, why would they remove the clock?

It shouldn't be more than 10 bucks and the clock in the big screen is sometimes unavailable/inconvenient, ie, when the car is off/you are using the big screen.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
I would love to see a picture of the coffee cup button!

·
Registered
644 Posts
I was too confused about this center display. Look awkward along with the center vents.
And the "coffee cup" button for Birdview does not make logic sense.

BTW, how did you manage to spend $50K on Rav4?

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
Yeah, why would they remove the clock?

It shouldn't be more than 10 bucks and the clock in the big screen is sometimes unavailable/inconvenient, ie, when the car is off/you are using the big screen.
Definitely agree. I wish they had placed it in a location, where it did not disappear, intermittently.

·
Registered
57 Posts
so I wonder, would it be possible to cut into the center of the plastic and slip something in there, or maybe mount an led display behind it with something useful? I haven't pulled apart my dash (yet) but maybe someone who has can speak to how much space is available behind it?

·
Registered
551 Posts
so I wonder, would it be possible to cut into the center of the plastic and slip something in there, or maybe mount an led display behind it with something useful? I haven't pulled apart my dash (yet) but maybe someone who has can speak to how much space is available behind it?
Hi scottj, could you mod and post pics?
thanks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Is it just me, who finds this hilarious and rather unprofessional?

I mean, come on, this is a $50k flagship model of Toyota we are talking about, and they cannot be bothered to repurpose or remove a central panel that used to be a clock?! That really annoys me.
I would hardly call the Rav4 Toyota's flagship model and if you paid anywhere close to $50K, you paid way too much! :wink

1 - 20 of 30 Posts