Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you took these off? Does everyone have them? These are at the corner/base of each rear passenger door closest to the rear wheels. Hopefully you guys know what I'm talking about. If not I'll post pics..

I'm wondering if I should remove them or leave them on for awhile. They don't seem like they'll come off easily but may eventually start collecting dirt around their edges and not look to great.

·
Registered
652 Posts
They are there for protection. Toyota's studies have shown that the small debris that is kicked up by the front tires hits that particular spot.

Unless you have front mud guards I would leave them on.

·
Super Moderator
1,561 Posts
Yes, like Serious said, they're for protection -- likely it's 3M ScotchGuard paint protective film... You can get more of the same stuff installed to protect the nose, mirrors and flanks.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Janos said:
They are there for protection. Toyota's studies have shown that the small debris that is kicked up by the front tires hits that particular spot.

Unless you have front mud guards I would leave them on.
Wow - really? That's pretty specific as they aren't particularly large. I thought they were more for providing minimal protect from accidently opening the doors into another car or wall, etc.

I plan on getting mudguards. I plan on leaving these on as long as they aren't noticeable. If they start to develop a dirt ring around the edges that doesn't go away after washing, I'll reconsider... Then again, I'm not sure how easily they come off..

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Janos wrote:
That's precisely what they're there for, I'd leave 'em on. Did any one notice the textured paint on the rocker panels - almost like a chip guard. that's also for protection from road debris in a vulnerable area.

OC

·
Registered
271 Posts
flyingn said:
do not remove em. If you do (if you can they will not come off easy) you will definetly get rack chips.. Its there from the factory to stay on for the life of the vehicle..
If it's a 3M paint protection film, I think it would have a shelf life of at least more than 5 years. That's warranty period of 3m ppf application. I'm going to put those film on the edge of the door. Received the film and yet to find time for apply it.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
My 2000 has that film (applied by the factory) on the lower part of the rear quarters, behind the rear wheels, to protect against road debris being thrown up. After six years on the road the film looks essentially new, so I don't think longevity is a real issue there. It's intended to stay on permanently.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Same here, i noticed them while i was drying my RAV. i just left them on there. Like they said for protection.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts