Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i noticed these small fatigue cracks in the top front of my radiator:

hope you can see them in the pics... anyway, i was thinking of reinforcing the area with fiberglass after sanding it down a bit. will this be enough or is it new radiator time?

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
I don't see them... but you may want to consider JBweld instead.... and if that doesn't keep it from leaking, then it may be time to invest in a new radiator...

Just my .02 cents...

·
Registered
278 Posts
If it is leaking allready the fiberglass doesn't work anymore, it will just start leaking again under the fiberglass after a week or 2.
I had the same problem with my vitara.

If it is not leaking as yet it might work, I don't know

·
Registered
779 Posts
It would be very strange if it started to leak there. All my radiators have blown down in the fins.

If you're worried, it's probably best to get a new radiator. I do not think they cost that much, certainly not for peace of mind anyway.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the coolant isn't leaking out yet (that i can tell)! a friend of mine who does fiberglass and resin products said he'll put some carbon fiber over that part of the radiator on sunday. he says carbon fiber resin can withstand higher temps and will bond better to the plastic and the carbon fiber mat would give it much more strength..

let's see!!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, i noticed a bit of coolant residue yesterday at one of the cracks so i had it covered this morning with the resin used for carbon and thin fiberglass tissue.

drove to work after it was done and didn't notice any leak yet!! will take some pix at lunch time for you to see.

hope it holds up for a while coz i can't afford a new radiator at the moment!!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
had the radiator replaced yesterday... jeeez, they are expensive!! but at least it's not going to blow at the worst possible moment!!

·
Registered
2,904 Posts

"Aussie Desert Cooler's Triple Flow System -
By building internal walls in the radiator, the coolant is
re-routed to pass through the radiator (top to bottom or side to side) three times resulting in three separate exposures to temperature dropping air-flow, with little or no adverse flow restriction.

The result is an average 15 % reduction in radiator outlet temperatures. Aussie Desert Cooler now offers this unique flow design as an option on all non-trans cooler type Brass/Copper or Aluminium radiators in their extensive line of high performance vehicle applications."

These aren't available for a RAV4 but im sure that one could be custom made.....

follow this link : http://aussiedesertcooler.com.au

1 - 10 of 10 Posts