Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just got a used 2006 RAV4 V6 and new to the forums. Hopefully I posted the question in the right place. Today I tried to change the cabin air filter, it was easy without a problem but after checking other people's pictures and YouTube channels. I found my car doesn't have the black mesh window above the cabin filter area (See the highlighted area in the picture, my was empty). Is this small mesh window important? I assume the dirty air will just escape from there instead of going through the filter.....

Thanks in advance for everyone's help :smile

KP

Attachments

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
That looks like a vent maybe to go to the floor. Not every year and model will look exactly the same since changes are made over time. As far as I can tell there is nothing to worry about.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
That is your air intake when the system is on recirculate. A flapper door closes it off when you are drawing air from outside, and opens it (while closing the outside intake) when on recirc.

I have not seen one without the foam filter, so it seems like yours has gone missing. As to how critical it is? It is drawing in air from the interior, which is relatively clean already, and it then runs through the cabin filter.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
mine did not have a foam filter. It had some non porous foam on it. Mouse chewed through it, and was leaking cold air into the cab. I taped it up. Intake for recirc? Going to have to look into that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for everyone for the reply! I guessed mine should have the form filter at the beginner but might got degraded overtime. I will cut some form filter and tape it back.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Thanks for everyone for the reply! I guessed mine should have the form filter at the beginner but might got degraded overtime. I will cut some form filter and tape it back.

How’s this working out for you now? I had a visitor eat my flap too, and have got a fogging problem in the winter here. Pain to have to scrape the ice from INSIDE the windows. What material did you use, and how’s it working? For the record, the flap isn’t a part to be ordered, and the whole heater box has to be replaced. Dealer quoted me $1900 CDN, so that’s out of the question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
So I have concluded that no air is suppose to flow through that window. THe window must be there as some kind of safety for the HVAC system if something is clogged that window will leak enough air through that it will not harm the fans. It is NOT for the recuirc system. If you stick you head under there and take a look, when the recuirc is engaged a much larger opening is created right above that little window. Instead or ordering some special foam, I simply duct taped it shut. Seemed appropriate as I was sealing a leak in a duct. If you do not seal up that little window cold outside air will be pushed into the cabin, and make for a very angry and cold passenger. The air flow is down, so as the outside air hits the cabin filter some of it will spill out the open little window. Mine has been sealed with tape for several months and it is working well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts